Classical Music

Yes, I don’t find most '80s-based language mutations to be… all that awesome. :wink:

3 Likes

It was, however, totally radical.

Oh, how I loathed not being able to use the word “radical” for about five years.

2 Likes

Oh yeah? Well here’s the more upbeat remixed version of the song from Taiko no Tatsujin!

2 Likes

I’m not a huge Frank Zappa fan, but he did dabble successfully in the genre in my opinion.

1 Like

Almost as good as ELO’s. Portsmouth Sinfonia is a musical gem.

2 Likes

I use “classical” as the term when talking to people not in the business, because I’ve been cornered by aggressive pedants on all sorts of subjects and don’t want people to think I’m one too.
When the “avant-garde” is no longer very avant and “contemporary” composers are long in their graves, “classical” is still a useful umbrella phrase for general conversation.

BTW, if you like Pachelbel’s Canon, have a listen to this sketch.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Venezuela’s finest composer? Probably.

2 Likes

Yep. Over in the D&D Campaign thread someone was asking about a magic helmet for his character. All I saw was this:

6 Likes

What’s Opera, Doc? is one of the finest cartoons ever made. :smile:

6 Likes

Let’s not forget…

4 Likes

One of the schools I went to during my youth was St John’s College School, Cambridge. I auditioned for the College Chapel Choir (as featured in this video), but only made the reserves. But we did get to sing with them every third Sunday.
I can even remember the exact place in the chapel where a rather large chorister fainted on top of me during a gruellingly long service.
While the College Chapel Choir toured the USA, Japan and Australia while I was there, our plucky reserves once made it as far as Grantchester for a gig - two whole entire miles from school.

2 Likes

My favorite Carnival of the Animals piece has to be Aquarium. I first heard of the version below when I was in elementary school.

5 Likes

Sometimes I wish the Fantasia short for Invitation to the Dance hadn’t been cancelled. It was planned to be a spinoff of the Pastorale Symphony segment, focused on the pegasi…

3 Likes

Speaking of Invitation to the Waltz, or Invitation to the Dance as I like to call it, here’s this arrangement.

2 Likes

What’s Opera, Doc is wonderful, but I think this one is funnier.

7 Likes

Leopold!

5 Likes

Okay, THAT’S dope. Thanks for passing that along! :smiley:

3 Likes

This isn’t exactly OG classical, but here’s a waltz, Hector Varela’s “Palomita Blanca,” that I simply love too much not to include here.

2 Likes

Opera houses were fairly common in small towns in Kansas. It wasn’t so much that frontier settlers were fond of opera, but that an “opera house” could serve as a home for all sorts of community functions, from revivals to town band performances to dances. I know some small towns are trying to preserve these old structures any way they can. It wouldn’t surprise me if putting an auto parts store on the ground floor is saving the rest of the building.

The tiny town of Grainfield, Kansas, has been working on saving their opera house for years. Here’s a picture of it I took about 10 years ago.

4 Likes