Favorite One Hit Wonders

For some musicians, lightning only struck once when it came to hit records. What are some of your favorite songs by singers/bands who could be classified as one hit wonders?

I’ve always liked this fun tune and recall playing it a lot as a kid because my older brother had the single.

For purposes of this thread, I guess we should stick to the American music charts (USA! USA!). I know this Dutch duo had additional hits in their homeland and had a Top Ten hit in the UK with “I See a Star”, but the above song is the only thing they will be remembered for here in the US.

9 Likes
15 Likes

Here’s a great song that became a one-hit wonder from a movie about a one-hit wonder, the Wonders (or Oneders). “That Thing You Do” was actually the winning entry for the movie written by Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne, which many might think was a one-hit wonder themselves (Stacy’s Mom) but they put out some great albums over a long career. Schlesinger unfortunately died during the pandemic. Schlesinger and Mike Viola sang for the varous recordings.

8 Likes

Speaking of Dutch bands who were bigger at home but had only one hit in the US …

4 Likes

I love them in general, but this was their only hit.

10 Likes

Here’s an obscure one from '73 – Gunhill Road’s “Back When My Hair Was Short.” They had one hit, but opened for a lot of big stars.

3 Likes

Pure energy.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Amazing musician, and his hit is one of his middle-of-the-road songs.

15 Likes

They had other hits in the UK, but this was their only song to hit the charts in the US.

4 Likes

Obscure is right. I was around back then and I don’t recall this record at all. It’s a good one though. Sounds like it belongs in a 1970’s rock musical.

2 Likes

I have and love both their albums, and never understood why they didn’t have another hit because all their songs are hauntingly beautiful.

5 Likes
12 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen… this is a one-hit wonder.

8 Likes

Now opening for the Baha Men at county fairs all across the quad-state area.

(Not the classic Baha Men, either. Just one original Baha Man who bought the band name and hired a bunch of scrubs.)

4 Likes

Unfortunate that this was her only hit because she is extremely talented. She was great when she was a member of The Lockers.

13 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

ROAD TRIP

2 Likes

KAREEEEEEN I LOVE YOOOOOUUU

9 Likes

Is that really a favorite?

It’s one of mine; I don’t know if it meets any official criteria.

5 Likes