Good TV Shows, bad episodes

The “God Stuff” was built into BSG from the start, and the first season really just cemented that, they get actual physical evidence of their holy books being true, so it’s not surprising that the show ended with that coming forward so strongly.

I don’t mind a little magical fantasy getting mixed into my Sci-Fi, it’s like coffee in Spaghetti Sauce, it adds flavour!

I’m just glad it ended with Roslin and Adama on that hill, and then nothing happened after.

I’ve got to say it, and this is not a common opinion, I’m guessing.

I never rewatch the Buffy episode with the singing. “Once Again With Feeling,” I think is the title. Sorry, it’s just too much. No, I don’t rewatch Buffy/Angel as a habit (occasionally dip back in for fun), but, you know, I remember that one with unpleasantness.

Twin Peaks? I can’t even go there…some episodes were less than entertaining, I suppose one could say.

@TheBindingPolymer

That one episode of Murder She Wrote where Jessica Fletcher wasn’t even in it.

Where they spotlighted a supporting character from the series? There were a couple of those, I think. I just figured it was because Lansbury was working like a dog and needed to rest. Quincy had an episode like that, too.

Did one of those have Jerry Orbach, and maybe was a pilot for his spinoff series? A lot of these shows do backdoor pilots, and the episodes aren’t usually that well-received.

The last 2 episodes of Green Acres (an otherwise hilarious show) were backdoor pilots for other series. The ratings for the series were still good, but they were canceled at the time of the “rural purge” at CBS. Pat Buttram used to say they canceled anything with a tree in it. I don’t think the producers were too happy with the situation, hence the 2 backdoor pilots.

3 Likes

The Scott’s Tots episode of The Office (US). It’s so cringeworthy, I can’t even watch it on rewatches.

1 Like

Probably.

1 Like

a few more: for TMNT 87, I have two on the list.

Leonardo Cuts Loose. The episode plot itself isn’t bad, but the characters ask questions that they ignore, and act totally out of character. some of the dialouge also seems redundant or weird, and it’s just an oddly paced episode.

Same goes for Elementry, My Dear Turtle. meeting sherlock homes should be fun, but the episode is just weirdly paced, and it feels like a small part of it was cut out. there is supposed to be a chase scene on top of a train roof, but all we get is a small cut away of a train moving into a tunnel. the characters reference a chase that never happened on screen. two totally disjointed episodes that are hard to rewatch but could have been good.

“These Are the Voyages …” Star Trek: Enterprise.

1 Like

That episode of Northern Exposure in which pregnant Shelly has to sing everything.

Also pretty much all of season 6, but that’s probably not fair, and I should watch it again.

1 Like

DS9 as a show overall was really good … but boy were there some stinker episodes mixed in with the good ones.

Move Along Home … one of the dumbest ST episodes ever written.
The Storyteller … so mind-numbingly dull and stupid.
Let He Who Is Without Sin … terrible writing where things happen for stupid reasons en masse.

and that MIGHT have been a good episode, just so long as it wasn’t the LAST episode, and SKIPPED OVER the founding of the freakin’ federation as a sub plot.

1 Like

Nah, I’d say that’s fair. Once Joel left, the magic was kinda gone.

Probably the most marmite episode of Stargate Atlantis was Vegas.

You either love or hate that episode. I enjoy it, it’s interesting to see the characters playing different but similar roles. But the last few episodes before this one were weak and just knowing that it is the penultimate episode of the seres and it’s not “our characters” I can see why people dislike it.

I believe there were several where Jessica only bookended the episode or introduced it and the episode itself was one of the spin off characters or somesuch. People responded VERY poorly to those and so, Angela Lansbury went back to being the focus.

1 Like

Yeah. They were testing the waters for spin-offs, I guess.

1 Like