Host Segments: Pro, Con or Unnecessary?

For MST3K, host segments are part of the premise, built into the fabric of the show. It would not be MST3K without them. (I say that, but I also thought the silhouettes were necessary. I see many online comment that they can’t watch a RiffTrax because there are no silhouettes at the bottom of the screen. But the powers that be decided they were too much of a hassle for the live tours, so POOF! disappeared there and no one who has a problem with RiffTrax seems to have a problem with that. So what do I know?)

That said, since they are not and never were intended to be part of RiffTrax or what The Mads do, they aren’t necessary to enjoy riffing, and I greatly enjoy both for what they are. The verdict is host segments are necessary for MST3K, but not needed elsewhere.

7 Likes

I would also agree with the consensus, the Host Segments are a must to have the true, authentic MST3K experience. There’s been some truly iconic sequences in those sketches.

(One that comes to mind is the incredible Time Distortion bit from Prince of Space!)

8 Likes

Best of the Sci-Fi Channel era, for my money.

It was one of those weird science sketches that worked beautifully, like the Quantum Linear Super-Positioning sketch from Gunslinger.

As for the Comedy Central years? Yeah, I love the ones with all the zaniness and madcap shenanigans and all…

… but I think there’s a fine quality to the host segments where the gang just talks.

The Eegah episode was great for these with both the Insidious Nature of Hell sketch and the 60’s TV Parentage sketch. Or a few episodes later, to cite Gunslinger again, that whole sketch about death and funerals and such.

3 Likes

Little different when you’re all literally in the theater.

3 Likes

They. Make. The. Show! I suffer through “The Starfighters” for the refueling segment.

5 Likes

At a live show, the intros and the patter between a short film and a movie do serve a function similar to that of host segments on the show.

2 Likes

The live versions of RT are the best because of the extra stuff they do and you can see them say the jokes, too.

4 Likes

You need host segments! Without host segments, you wouldn’t have MST3K’s finest moment!

10 Likes

blooper1

You have the right idea!

5 Likes

The mere thought of such a thing shakes me to my core. I don’t want to live in such a world.

5 Likes

I’ve known people who edited the host segments out of tapes, but I think that was to fit marathons on as few tapes as possible. It is fine as entertainment, but pretty jarring if you are used to the show.

Oddly, for some reason I am not so fond of the invention exchange… I’ve really enjoyed many of them, so I’m not sure why my knee-jerk reaction is so unenthusiastic.

3 Likes

lol If I could get better tomato outcomes in my backyard garden, I’d eat LT sammitches every. late. summer. day. Bacon is expensive, plus it doesn’t really agree with me anymore. With regular store tomatoes it’s not really worth the effort to assemble the structure, though.

4 Likes

For a second I though you said “jelly eggs” and I was THOROUGHLY intrigued. Now I see it was just my Friday brain mixing things up…

But, still- JELLY EGGS!!!
What do you think, sirs???

2 Likes

fish make those

2 Likes

Guy Fieri Fish GIF by Food Network

2 Likes

Well, Brach’s makes 'em better!

4 Likes

2 Likes

‘Alas poor who?’ was just trying to darn hard, although ‘Hamlet’ is one of my favorite episodes.

2 Likes

I need to add the jelly bird to my birdwatching list.

4 Likes

Yes, you need sketches. My main beef with Season 12 is that they cut the number of sketches during the film from 3 to 2. It threw off the pattern I had been used to, and also some of those movies NEEDED more break time. Especially The Day Time Ended.

6 Likes