How Techy a group are we?

Well, my phone tried to auto-correct techy to TechTV twice so far…

I’m curious about how tech minded we all are?

Trying to put myself in other peoples shoes…

I do this with my customers, I try and not stay stuck in my own bubble of my tech, my own personal and professional experiences…

So… I’m curious… I’m probably missing a few options that belong here…

• Your family calls you for tech support
  • Your neighbors call you for tech support
  • You’ve updated the firmware on your PC (on purpose)
  • You’ve updated the firmware on your router
  • You’ve changed the DNS servers your router uses
  • You’ve made your own Ethernet or coax cables
  • You have multiple streaming TV devices (AppleTV, FireTV, Roku)
  • You have a server in your home
  • You’ve built a computer
  • You’ve written a program
  • You’ve used a html editor
  • You’ve successfully programmed a vcr
  • You know what program my avatar picture is from
  • You’ve used IRC
  • You’ve used ICQ
  • You’ve used GoopherNet
  • You’ve used Usenet
  • You’ve used a BBS
  • You have a HAM license

0 voters

5 Likes

As of my voting, we’re 100% on VCR programming. Go us! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s battling a fierce field now.

I only held back on “neighbors” because I hate them and they’d not ask me for anything. Nor vice versa.

I would like to see more IRC though.

5 Likes

Well, we can’t all have programmed a VCR - there must be some younger people here. If VCR stays at 100% I think we can question the methodology of the poll.

4 Likes

I recognize your avatar … know the source, used it (for what I couldn’t tell you), but didn’t vote for it since I couldn’t for the life of me remember the name of it until I looked it up.

3 Likes

Does Basic count as writing a program? Because I counted Basic as writing a program. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Yes!:+1:

7 Likes

Then I’ll pretend I voted for that one too.

4 Likes

I’m somewhat aghast that you didn’t separate programming a VCR into two categories: manually programming versus using GEM codes.

And you needed a category for people who have helped to design computers.

ResEdit FTW!

5 Likes

Using GEM codes wasn’t real programming.

6 Likes

Which is why I was aghast! Unless you worked out how to generate your own GEM codes, of course, at which point it becomes a higher-ranked VCR skill.

6 Likes

I don’t think I ever had a vcr that used gem codes? Always manual. Honestly didn’t occur to me? Oops.

And, well, computer design? I’m not worthy :+1:

Yup :+1:

3 Likes

Before they started building the capability into the VCRs themselves, you originally needed to buy a VCR Plus+ remote. It had its own internal clock (which you needed to manually set) and an IR blaster to control the VCR (which you had to set up for your VCR like any other universal remote control). So for a little more pain up front, you saved a lot of work later.

Fun fact — Gemstar would eventually go on to buy TV Guide.

9 Likes

I’d forgotten about both of those things … yikes.

3 Likes

That’s how I was able to watch MST3K through my college years!

7 Likes

Uhhhhhh what’s a GEM code?

edit: never mind

3 Likes

I assume you mean Gopher by “GoopherNet.”

“This World-Wide Web thing is interesting and all, but it will never replace Gopher.” – Me in 1992.

I was so prescient.

9 Likes

Even when web browsers became a thing, I still remember typing gopher:// instead of http:// when I needed to look up some info at my college.

And, for all you kids out there, those are forward slashes, NOT backslashes. Everytime you call them backslashes, I die a little inside. Now get off my lawn!

11 Likes

Yes, autocorrect “fixed” techy to TechTV twice, but failed me with Gopher/GopherNet. .

6 Likes

I miss local BBSes. I made friends, I got a girlfriend or two, we all had lots of fun and it was all local enough to keep it small and intimate.

7 Likes