I’m Not Crying, There’s Cinema in My Eye

Was just reminded of this one. The ending to the fourth series of Blackadder.

4 Likes

Yeah, that one gets me. Generally any war film with a doomed charge in it shakes me up.

3 Likes

I just watched the new All Quiet on the Western Front. It was very intense and I got to the very very end and had to shut it off like like two minutes before the credits when it was clear that Kat was going to get killed by the farmer child for stealing. I inferred how it was gonna go but the whole movie was so tense that I just couldn’t take watching the ending cuz I knew it would make me cry and ruin my night :sweat_smile: So I decided to live in willful ignorance about the ending (til my friend spoiled it anyway haha)

3 Likes

I’m rewatching the third series of Twin Peaks and just got to Catherine Coulson’s last episode. A genuinely heroic performance.

“There is some fear in letting go”

Good night Margaret, indeed.

4 Likes

This is one of mine, full-stop. That is one of the most moving scenes ever committed to an audio-visual medium, in my book. Genuinely heroic is right.

Goodbye, Margaret.

4 Likes

Most of Satoshi Kon’s work gets me emotional; in addition to the final episodes of his series Paranoia Agent, the climax of Tokyo Godfathers gets to me every time, and the resonance of Detective Konakawa’s story in Paprika with Kon’s own life really makes me emotional. But nothing gets to me quite like the end of his film Millennium Actress.

2 Likes

The Coen Brothers are directors I love but they tend to run cold. But there are some exceptions and the big one is the end of Raising Arizona, where the Looney Tunes paced madness gives way to hope for a couple who might never have kids. It’s wonderfully ambiguous because it might just be a beautiful dream but even then HI’s darker dream came true, so there’s hope for this one…

4 Likes

I’ve heard this complaint about them going back to the '90s, and I get it, but over time I have come to agree with it less and less.

I think they see the mechanics of the universe as complex and unforgiving, which is an entirely different thing.

5 Likes

This scene always gets me misty eyed.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I thought of one this morning. It’s a beautiful ode to cinema itself and the ending is definitely tear-inducing.

Also one of Morricone’s best soundtracks.

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily like admitting that I cry at the movies that make “everyone” cry, cuz I’d like to say that I’m a super stoic ice queen who’s immune to any of Hollywood’s conventional attempts to tug on my heartstrings. This is simply not true, because a good movie is a good movie for a reason, obviously, so there’s nothing wrong with being moved by a story told in a genuine and touching way.
But not all parts of a story affect everyone the same way, and sometimes I find that the scenes that make me emotional are not the ones that most people usually cry at. Like in Forrest Gump, of course toward the very end where he’s speaking at Jenny’s grave is very very sad. (refer to above comments about men crying being my biggest trigger lol). And there’s loads of other sad moments, but I can make it through most of the movie without breaking up until I get to this scene.
Is He Smart? GIF - IsHeSmart ForrestGump - Discover & Share GIFs

The hesitancy, the catch in his voice as he asks and expects the worst. We go through the whole film used to how little Forrest outwardly reacts to people’s bullying and cruelty toward himself, and him not giving much regard to what other’s think of him, until this moment. These three little words suddenly reveal just how deeply it’s hurt him to go through life knowing he’s not smart like other people. But he doesn’t betray how much pain he’s been in until he’s afraid that his son will have go through everything he did. And ughhhhhh this line just breaks my heart more than anything else in the whole movie. Alright I’m done with my rant.

5 Likes