In memoriam…

Could be. I remain pragmatic. Neither optimistic nor pessimistic but open to either. Whichever delivers the most convincing case at the time.

3 Likes

The thing about being a pessimist is you’re never disappointed.

4 Likes

But you’re always under a cloud. I know because I lived like that and it never gelled with me. Being open to whatever befalls and deciding for yourself rather than it choosing for you is a freedom not afforded by staying static in one setting. My experience.

3 Likes

Nice tribute.

Just heard. :cry:

I know the movie sucked, but this was a great song.

7 Likes

Nope - you’re just disappointed all the time. You swim in a sea of disappointment.

3 Likes

Me, too, but that’s expected since I’m in my 60s. The thing is to find new things and people to admire who will still be here after I’m gone.

1 Like

Xanadu the soundtrack legit slaps!

3 Likes

So in memory of the legend who voiced Pingu (including all the other characters), here’re one of my favorite episodes during the show’s original run.

6 Likes

David Bowie GIF by hoppip

1 Like

I highly recommend Juliana Hatfield’s album of Olivia Newton-John covers she released a few years ago.

2 Likes

I’ve had the opportunity to meet more than a few famous folks and Olivia was hands down the one that always stands out as an incredibly beautiful woman who was even more beautiful in person. And she seemed like a genuinely kind and gracious person.

And during the summer of '80, this just sounded so cool on the radio…

7 Likes

Wait, doesn’t being a pessimist mean you’re disappointed when things turn out well? :thinking:

2 Likes

That few weeks from Christmas 2015 through mid-January 2016, man…

Lemmy
Bowie
Alan Rickman

4 Likes

I find it’s better to be 50% optimist and 50% pessimist, or as a wise man once wrote:

Hope for the best, expect the worst
Some drink champagne, some die of thirst
No way of knowing which way it’s going
Hope for the best, expect the worst!

Hope for the best, expect the worst
The world’s a stage, we’re unrehearsed
Some reach the top, friends, while others drop, friends
Hope for the best, expect the worst!

Hope for the best; expect the worst.
The rich are blessed; the poor are cursed
That is a fact, friends, the deck is stacked, friends
Hope for the best, expect the…
(Even with a good beginning, it’s not certain that you’re winning.
Even with the best of chances, they can kick you in the pantses)
Look out for the… Watch out for the worst! Hey!

4 Likes

Someone who idolized Bowie a lot died around that time. Just look at the Big Bang Baby video or listen to the glam rock heavy Tiny Music.

That’s from The Twelve Chairs (1970), one of Mel Brooks’ lesser known comedies. And it’s still great advice!

1 Like

I forgot he was right around then as well.

Ah, but the thing about being an optimist is that you have no reason to be disappointed. Things may not turn out like you expected, but the night is young, and maybe they’re better this way anyway!

4 Likes