In memoriam…

To Catch a Yeti is available from Rifftrax if you need a dose of Meatloaf while you mourn. To Catch a Yeti | RiffTrax

I wouldn’t say he was a great actor, but he was an actor, and he was great, and I feel sad today.

5 Likes

Per his wishes he will be cremated at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until his internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

11 Likes

He’s the best part of To Catch a Yeti. :cry:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, they played a short clip of him on NPR this morning where he said he considered himself an actor who plays a singer.

2 Likes

Apart from Fight Club the only acting I’ve seen him do is his cameo in Wayne’s World and his part in Rocky Horror. I also saw Leap of Faith but I don’t remember him in it.

I understand Roadie is pretty bad, but I want to see it anyway.

5 Likes

2nd worst movie he reviewed behind Nukie.

mad go away GIF

1 Like

@Lesley could this thread be merged to the In memoriam thread?

4 Likes

And who can forget…

3 Likes

@Lesley Why wasn’t this merged in here as well? This is what inspired my Meat Loaf thread.

2 Likes

@Lesley To be thorough, you probably ought to merge this in here also. Where I feel you might lose something is by combining the lot of this altogether not one person is the sole subject. Rather than one remembrance it’s everywhere. Which is the point of a catch-all. I get it. Still I offer up another one of my children “for the cause.”

P.S. Sorry for all the extra work Lesley. Thanks!

https://forums.mst3k.com/t/sidney-poitier/19760

3 Likes

I love Meat Loaf. My dad and I saw him in concert twice when I was in high school/college. I’m pretty sure I have permanent hearing damage, they were the loudest things I ever heard. He put on an amazing show. I still listen to Bat Out of Hell regularly, and he was the second best part of RHPS after the incomparable Tim Curry.

RIP Mr Loaf.

3 Likes

Ron Goulart, noooooo!

Author of William Shatner’s TekWar but don’t hold that against him…

3 Likes

Iconic trendsetting leading man and film star Sidney Poitier dies at 94. He appeared in such classics as Lilies of the Field (1963) for which he won the Oscar, To Sir, With Love (1967), Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), and In the Heat of the Night (1967).

4 Likes

I mentioned him in another thread recently as someone I’d watch in anything, if he was in it, I was going to watch it. He was a class act as well as a top-notch actor.

Loved you Sidney, rest in peace.

5 Likes

Poitier splashed onto the scene portraying a juvenile delinquent opposite Glenn Ford in Blackboard Jungle (1955), unforgettably is handcuffed to Tony Curtis in The Defiant Ones (1958), registers with force in A Raisin in the Sun (1961), then ascending to stardom with Lilies of the Field (1963), A Patch of Blue (1965), and that trio of films in 1967 To Sir, With Love (1967), Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), and the Best Picture Oscar Winner In the Heat of the Night (1967). Poitier would star in two sequels to In the Heat of the Night and remain a recognizable face in film for many decades.

1 Like

In the Heat of the Night is my favorite dramatic film. The fact that Poitier didn’t get an Academy Award nomination for it is the most outrageous snub in Oscar history, IMO.

1 Like

Hollywood is a fascinating contradiction. Poitier won Best Actor a couple years earlier for Lilies of the Field (1963) and this combined with an incredibly competitive field of nominees that year including Spencer Tracy (posthumous), Warren Beatty, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman, and Rod Steiger the winner for In the Heat of the Night (1967) in addition to Poitier having three lead performances to choose from with To Sir, With Love (1967), Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967), and In the Heat of the Night (1967) divided Poitier’s votes between them and that is believed to be why he didn’t score a nomination. It wasn’t a snub as much as a result of his unparalleled success that year. IMO and many others.

1 Like

They called him MISTER Tibbs!

2 Likes

He also did some nice late career work on TV, The Last Bricklayer in America, The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn, David and Lisa, Separate but Equal.

There was also To Sir With Love II and a good, little talked about western miniseries titled, Children of the Dust.

I’ve not yet seen Mandela and de Klerk (1997), or Free of Eden (1998), in which he acted with his daughter. I’ll have to see if I can find those two. EDIT - they are both at YouTube.

2 Likes

Later Poitier appearances of note include Sneakers (1992) co-starring Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley, David Strathairn, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix, and Mary McDonnell and The Jackal (1997) featuring Bruce Willis, Richard Gere, Diane Venora, and J.K. Simmons.

4 Likes