Jack Frost episode of MST3K on the big screen (in Des Moines) Nov. 30

The Varsity Theater in Des Moines just announced this. It’s one of the theaters I saw MST3K: The Movie back in 1996.

12 Likes

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, MST3K vs. Jack Frost (MY FAVORITE EPISODE! :smiley: ), Black Christmas, AND Dial Code: Santa Claus?!

Man, y’all are doing it right!

3 Likes

It’s a pretty awesome theater. I’m hoping Jack Frost does well for them. Maybe they would consider letting me program more regular MST3K screenings.*

*I have nothing to do with this, but I’d be more than happy to pick out more episodes for them to show. Maybe some Mads/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic stuff too.

3 Likes

Here’s hopin’, aye - and I’m sure you could curate some terrific screenings for the gang!

3 Likes

You buried the lede: they seem to be showing Birdemic: Shock and Terror without riffing

3 Likes

Birdemic thought it could bamboozle me, but…

[puts on sunglasses]

… toucan play this game.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

CSI: MST3K FORUMS

2 Likes

Buried the lede here. You had multiple nearby theaters that screened the movie?

4 Likes

I saw MST3K The Movie four times in three theaters in three cities in two states.

First time was in a shoebox in Champagne, Illinois, where my dad lived at the time. Then it came to the Varsity in Des Moines and I saw it there. Then it replaced Rocky Horror Picture Show as a midnight movie for a few weeks in West Des Moines and I saw it there twice.

2 Likes

You represent about 6% of the total box office receipts.

3 Likes

Is the Varsity right across the street from Drake’s campus?

1 Like

It is.

1 Like

That’s where I saw MST3K: The Movie too. I was a student at Drake at the time. Still remember the audience going nuts after the “I’ll just gas up in Des Moines” riff.

2 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

[quote=“Majorjoe23, post:3, topic:28793”]
It’s a pretty awesome theater. I’m hoping Jack Frost does well for them. Maybe they would consider letting me program more regular MST3K screenings.*
[/
I am SO happy I stumbled upon this post! I had no idea about this! I just recently moved to Knoxville Iowa to be closer to my son. It’s been a very stressful transition as I left a very well paying job to be here. I am loving, having more time with my son, but have felt out of place since I got here. This is the first thing that has come along that feels like it was tailor-made for me. As luck would have it. I also happen to be off work that night so I will most definitely be there!! I’m already contemplating what MST apparel to wear! And I will gladly back you up on suggesting episodes for the Varsity Theater to play (I’m thinking The Mask in 3D for next Halloween!! :jack_o_lantern:)
Hope to see you at the show

5 Likes

This is happening tonight. If anyone here is going, I’ll be the tall goofy guy with a beard, glasses and a season 13 Kickstarter hoodie

2 Likes

The first plot point involves knitting socks!!!

1 Like

I’m nowhere near Des Moines, but if things were otherwise, I’d love to take part in this.

Have a ridiculously awesome time of it all!

2 Likes

There were about 30 people there, which seems pretty good for Des Moines at 10 pm on a Thursday.

It was really fun seeing it on the big screen, and it looked pretty good at that size.

5 Likes