Joel, Jonah and Emily are live on the Rolling Stone Twitch channel right now!

There’s a sequel to MUNCHIE?!?!

I uh… I’m gonna go get some milk, and I won’t be back for another… 5 years.

5 Likes

Was “A cast member will organize your intervention” a Kickstarter reward? How much was that one?

8 Likes

The weird thing is that Munchie is the sequel to Munchies!

It’s like we have a reverse titling situation of how Alien led to a sequel titled Aliens.

6 Likes

I grew up in a very small town which had a small, local radio station. The last time I was back there, said radio station was host to a bunch of right wing talk shows. But when I was a kid, they played basically any hit record the music companies sent them for free. They played everything – rock, country, easy listening, pop. You might have heard the Supremes followed by Johnny Cash followed by Herb Alpert and the TJB followed by the Beatles.

But I guess every once in a while they had to clear out the library to make room for newer records. My mom worked with the mom of the guy who was the morning plow – uh, I mean drivetime DJ and one day she brought home a box of 45s they were discarding. I remember a few of them were “Red Roses For a Blue Lady” by Andy Williams", “The Little Old Lady From Pasadena” by the Beach Boys, “Hot Diggity” by Perry Como and this record which I absolutely LOVED and played to death on my portable phonograph player as a kid!

I siill love this song and now, thanks to Jonah, I think I will make it a part of my pre-show warmup before viewing the next episodes of MST3K.

2 Likes

Did they encourage you to turn your crank to Frank?

6 Likes

All I can say is that if Munchie doesn’t cause me to fake my own death online after this build-up, I’m going to be bitterly disappointed. :popcorn: :beer:

4 Likes

this is bad leslie knope GIF

I saw no connection between Munchies and Munchie. I think we have a Troll / Troll 2 situation on our hands here. It probably wasn’t the best idea to watch these three movies back to back, but at least I’ll die… um… yeah, at least I’ll die. I have that to look forward to.

10 Likes

I definitely see it being painful from a riff writing perspective, but it is not the worst film I’ve ever seen.

[Worst film details hidden to protect the children.]

The worst film I’ve ever seen is Ankle Biters (2002). You’ll read the synopsis and think to yourself “hells yeah I want to see that” but you’ll be wrong, so wrong. I am not mentioning this film as a challenge, but as a warning. The writing is bad, so they liberally peppered it with f-bombs. The acting is bad so the lead actor (and writer/director) decides to try to be Blade. The camera work and sound is really bad so… so unwatchable, really.

4 Likes

Look, guys. Munchie won’t be shown to the public until 3 weeks and 4 days later. But @timryder’s right. One of us are talking about Munchie already, and now we’re screwed.

3 Likes

I just checked and Munchie Strikes Back is the sequel that my local bad movie night, Trash Night, screened in January 2019. From their notes:

Let us be very clear here that Munchie is not a convincing-looking astral party gremlin. Munchie looks like Munchie was stored in a broom closet for several years before being fished out for this film. There are SEVERAL SCENES in which you can see the board Munchie is nailed to, flopping around under the torsion of Munchie’s gesticulation. This is, if you know to look for it, a GOODLY PORTION of the appeal of MUNCHIE STRIKES BACK

Proceed with caution!

5 Likes

Munchie is NAILED TO A BOARD?? :flushed:

3 Likes

We make all kinds of jokes about all kind of blokes
But the thrill we’ve never known
Is the thrill that’ll getcha when you get your picture
On the Twitch of the Rollin’ Stone

7 Likes

Leprechauns know to steer clear when they hear the theme to The Rockford Files.

4 Likes

the puppet was not well taken care of between films. Munchie Strikes Back is r o u g h.

1 Like

Haven’t seen Munchie Strikes Back, but I did watch the first two a few months ago. I went through as many of the new season’s movies as I could find on streaming, which turned out to be nine of them and all on Tubi. I decided to watch Munchies before Munchie because I had never seen it.

Munchies was…something. Munchie was…something else.

1 Like

freddie-freaker

1 Like

Yeah, this exactly. It’s not the worst film ever made but it is very challenging to write a riff script for. That’s why it caused all the writers to lose their minds.

Something silly and/or dumb would happen, we would pause the movie to make jokes, and then when we resume the movie, Munchie itself makes the same or similar joke, making the writer’s role feel somewhat redundant. It happened enough times to have everyone boiling over in anger and existential dread.

6 Likes

Servo finally losing it and just screaming is one of my favorite things in the entire world.

8 Likes

I noticed that. That’s like Broadcasting 101.

4 Likes

Here’s my related experience… We’re watching the 2009 Star Trek reboot movie, and there’s this scene at the beginning in a bar. Kirk is talking with Uhura, and there’s this distinctive character sitting between them:

I sooooo wanted to say “hey buddy, why the long face?” But I didn’t, because obviously Kirk is going to say it. I mean, why even put that alien there in the first place? So I don’t say it, but then neither does Kirk, and I lost the opportunity.

So I decide that Star Trek is either doing it wrong, or is purposefully setting up jokes for the audience to make. So later when Scotty is all “this will beam you into the cargo bay, there won’t be anybody there” I immediately say “[transporter noise] here we are on the bridge!” and then, like a total jerk, the movie actually does that joke, and now everyone thinks that I’m the jerk for ruining it.

Anyway, so yeah: I have issues with J.J. Abrams and if I ever meet him you’d better believe I’m going to… grind my teeth!

2 Likes