Looks like the new app has launched and Spoilers reveal of the first episode of season 13

Yes—all lower-case works everywhere but on the iPad.

2 Likes

First thing I tried after the app login failed was to log in using a Web browser: https://mst3k.vhx.tv/
In the account settings there, I noticed the email was all lowercase, so I tried that in the app.

If it hadn’t worked, the Web site has a working “reset your password” link on its login page (after you enter your email address), and I would have tried that. (It may take a while to get the password reset email, fyi.)

Also, maybe VHX/Vimeo stored your email with some capitals (as shown in Account Settings), and you have to match that exactly in the app? (Until they fix it.)

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, have you tried an iPhone/iPod or AppleTV or do you just have an iPad on the Apple side of things? i.e. is this an Apple problem, because other than the UI layout, those should be essentially entirely the same backend code. FWIW, I’ve logged in on my iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV, but my username is all lowercase both in my account and in the entry fields in the apps.

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

Haha. Brain fart! Truth be told I have no clue what my password is, because 1Password does. I doubt it’s all lowercase though.

4 Likes

Please see my original comment above—I am able to log in everywhere but in the iPad app.

1 Like

Right, you said “other devices”, but that could be an Xbox or Roku. It wasn’t clear that you had other iDevices. That’s truly weird then. I can’t see how just the iPad app would be borked.

2 Likes

Apologies, I think more details are buried further back in the thread. Yes, I have successfully logged in the iPhone app, multiple Apple TV apps (though those use the /activate URL and device code), all browsers. The iPad app gives me “Trouble connecting” error if I use my user/pass in the correct all lower-case and a different password error if I attempt to use any capitals in the email address.

2 Likes

Email addresses are supposed to not be case sensitive but I remember someone saying somewhere they were having trouble somewhere because of capitals in their email address. If you had used capitals when signing up and the system was keeping track of them for some reason and other programs have been ignoring them so far and then you hit a program that somehow decided not to, it might be what happa. It would be weird if it was, though.

2 Likes

Oooh NICE! I’m going to try that now.

2 Likes

I just got on via Android name it’s great!
Some tips/feedback:

I did not have a vhx account and created an MST3K app account first. Went and claimed my shorts and classics via backerkit. Was automatically logged into vhx. Therefore, I’m assuming creating an account in the app creates your vhx account.

In the app, it will not pull up episodes if I type in a word. Like “delta.” But It will bring up all the shorts if I input “shorts.” Eegah works Mitchell doesn’t. Not sure what the deal is.

Episodes in my collections do not show up unlocked in the main area. So I can’t watch delta knights from there, for example. They DO show up under the library in the purchases tab. So if you’re looking for a list of what you have, go there.

Hope this helps new folks and devs.

Edit to add: episodes are 7.99 through vhx browser page. 9.99 through app. Use that knowledge wisely.

6 Likes

There’s a $2 walking around fee.

5 Likes

I noticed that before, but it was just 3-4 eps from season 1. I’d imagine the app will get an update soon, and the prices will be adjusted.

3 Likes

Unlikely, actually. The increased price helps offset the fee that Apple and Google collect on all content sales. We’re just not allowed to mention in the app that content costs less direct from us.

19 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Is this a Beta version? Shouldn’t it be called the Gizmoplex? I’m confused, but I downloaded it anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take it that the FireTV also includes the Amazon Prime Video App for the PlayStation?
Not that I mind using the FireTV thing (actually, I do, but I can live with it), but the PS4 controller is a much better remote than the other remotes jacked into our televisions.

4 Likes

The app itself is not available for Playstation and likely won’t ever be. The MST3K app and the Amazon Prime app are different things and so is the Pluto TV/Twitch/other ad supported places you may see MST as well on other apps.

It may be possible for the Gizmoplex experience (which is separate from the apps) to be accessible via the Playstation web browser, but they’re testing that now.

6 Likes

So can we login to the App using our VHX account?

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!
Excited to hear the Gizmoplex may be available on the PS4/PS5.
Again, it’s just my personal bias towards a game controller vs. the FireTV remote (or Roku when I’m at my parent’s place) No big deal.

3 Likes