Masks!

Ah, that would make sense, yeah!

(Solid film, too, thanks to none other than Charles B.-in-over-his-head Pierce!)

Yeah, THAT design is pretty sharp, too!

3 Likes

Okay, so does no one watch movies that aren’t horror movies featuring masks? :slight_smile:

Here’s another non-horror movie (people still die, but it’s not a horror movie and it’s not because of the masks).

(Oh, and note that William Shatner has a cameo appearance at the very beginning.)

4 Likes

He’s back!

Animated GIF

8 Likes

thekillingmask

For some film noir flavor in this thread, we gotta give a nod to Kubrick’s The Killing.

6 Likes

And a reference to Shatner brings us back around to …

8 Likes

No love for the greatest wrestling crime fighting vampire slaying scientist ever?

14 Likes

A couple of the best, most iconic masks in comics.

purepng.com-batman-arkhambatmansuperherocomicdc-comicsbob-kanebat-manbruce-wayne-1701528525941b0tug

3 Likes

One more, for the martial arts fans… The Five Deadly Venoms!

Apparently, centipedes really hate dinner plates.

7 Likes

Spiritcircle

3 Likes

My favorite animated masks:

8 Likes

4 Likes

If we’re talking masked comic booky type heroes, then let’s talk turkey

7 Likes

Rocketeermovieposter

8 Likes

I really liked that movie. I don’t know if it was deliberate, but it definitely reminds me of Commando Cody.

7 Likes

It appears that that was the case. As per Wikipedia: "Stevens, Bilson and De Meo began to consider making The Rocketeer as a low-budget film, shot in black-and-white and funded by independent investors. Their plan was to make the film a complete homage to Republic’s Commando Cody serials, and use a cast largely associated with character actors. "

The film liked to have its homage fun like that. The Lothar character makeup was based on none other than the Brute Man himself, Rondo Hatton.

But yeah, The Rocketeer was such a treat as a cinematic thrill ride. In a just world, it would’ve launched a number of successful sequels.

5 Likes

I knew about Rondo Hatton, but I didn’t realize that it was actually supposed to be an homage to Commando Cody. Very cool!

2 Likes

Third movie. And only in the seventh movie…wait, sixth? movie?..does he get his machete. It’s the 7th movie when Kane Hodder steps in and says, “Hey, let’s have some rules for our maniacal, undead revenant!” Not that that actually helped continuity much.

But part of the problem is they don’t want to cover up the lead girl’s face. For instance, Drew Barrymore is wearing more of a suggestion of a mask (unlike the others at the ball):

4 Likes

Heh, perhaps those rules didn’t help the continuity, but I’ll forever be grateful for the 007 gun barrel homage we got at the beginning of Part 6.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s kind of funny actually. It’s a masked ball so no one will know you’re there! …let’s just pretend to give you a mask and it will totally work! Then, there’s supposed to be shock that her stepmother knew who she was.

“…but I was wearing sequins on my face!”

2 Likes

This is a terrifying thread.
:flushed:

5 Likes