Nearly Forgotten Tech

I had one! It was in the 90s and it was totally obsolete, but I got it from a friend whose dad bought it back in the 80s and just decided to give it to me. I was willing to buy it. I had it for a few years and it was a fun toy. I have no idea what happened to it. Abandoned with so many other things when I moved across the country to L.A.

2 Likes

Had one of those as well.

2 Likes

My husband had two different Apple Newtons. Nifty gadgets.

How about mini disc players?

I still have several discs with music I recorded off of who knows where (I don’t know because I don’t have a way to play the discs now.) Pretty sure there’s a whole disc of They Might Be Giants music on at least one of them.

3 Likes

I don’t know how I had everything each of you chiming in had, but I also had a MD player/recorder that I did a lot of work with for radio shows and other audio projects. The quality was really good for VO work. Also, I’ve heard stories like people recovering minidiscs from dropping off a skyscraper or being deep underwater and them still being playable.

This is the model I had. The only problem with it is that it didn’t have XLR jacks, so I had to get an XLR to 3.5 mm converter cable, which was a little unwieldy, but it worked out.

1 Like

Had one of these inside my 350 mhz Compaq presario family computer.

5 Likes

Growing up in the late 70’s our home was broken into exactly twice. The thieves gained access to the locked garage and stole a CB radio similar to this out of a locked car

After my dad replaced it (Breaker 19!) stolen again within a month. No idea how much they were actually worth back then but kinda crazy

Knock on wood… these are the only break-ins for my extended family in over 50 years

2 Likes

Zip drives had a terrible reputation for crashing and destroying your data, but I used mine as a sort of additional hard drive for a few years with no problems.

2 Likes

We had ZIP drives and JAZ drives.

A disk that holds 100meg (MEG wowzers!) Sign me up!!!

We also had a CB when we lived in Alaska in the 1970s. Of course that was more a matter of safety over novelty, but I remember talking to some folks out on the roads.

3 Likes

I only ever had a wild rock, so I never got to see there was a manual!

I remember making a felt sleeping bag for the poor little guy. The seventies were super weird.

2 Likes

You can still get pet rocks for some reason.

1 Like

The reviews are hilarious!

2 Likes

Haha “Does not come as picture. In a plain box with no certificate” The manual is on Archive and has a section about throwing your Pet Rock at bullies

2 Likes

2 Likes

You and I must have the same FB friends. LOL!

2 Likes

Palm Centro was the best cell phone ever! Easily customizable ring tones, multi-colored options for the calendar categories, and a real :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:ing keyboard! :purple_heart: :purple_heart:

1 Like

Yeah, nobody smokes a pipe any more

2 Likes

Gimme.

2 Likes

Can anyone here help me with something?

I am looking for an old portable TV that has Analog, that I can use to play old MST3K episodes while sitting on my work desk.

Anyone selling one? Or have any advice on what to look out for? What to avoid?

I used to have one similar to this, bonus points if it’s an FM/AM radio AND a tv that has working Analog.

Here is something I have found: Vintage TV Radio Portable Radio Works 2 in 1 TV Radio Brand - Etsy

Also, the plan is to use a HDMI to Analog converter and plugin a Google TV dongle to play any and all MST3K episodes from the Gizmoplex.

1 Like