Outlaw (Of Gor) - revisited

I just want to know if anyone has tried riffing Shatner’s Kirk novels.

2 Likes

If you want to reference MSTified literature, at least post a link.

2 Likes

Don’t have my links at work; will you be patient until I get home?

2 Likes

“372 Pages We’ll Never Get Back” did the first TekWar book.

We lament the recent passing of the ghost writer Ron Goulart.

2 Likes

Another thing I love about Outlaw: One of my favorite end credits routines, USA Network Original Movies!:

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/ward_e/Bit519.html

2 Likes

Servo singing the old school USA Network bumper music brings back a lot of memories:

3 Likes

It’s the skits that make this episode such a delight.

The Jack Palance memoirs – “Day three… (sharp intake of breath)… missed call.”

and tubular boobular joy, of course – “latissumul dorsical, hung like a horsical…”

I’ve always wondered how much of this episode’s segments and riffs would have survived the writer’s room during Joel’s tenure, however. Not knocking either host, because I love them each in their own way, but to me this one definitely has a more adult flavor. Such as the part where the queen’s palanquin is being carried past the large phallic statue in the center of town and Tom says “The queen is praying for batteries to be invented!” Not sure that makes it into production when Joel is still around.

11 Likes

I don’t remember anything about batteries. I do remember “It’s just that I’m envious of that structure.”

J.H. is the guy who riffed about “the new seat covers” during Fu Manchu so I feel confident most of it would’ve been… similar. :joy:

6 Likes

When you describe it like that, it actually sounds like a legit read. :smiley:

3 Likes

This episode was on fire all across the board! There’s a reason why this installment was chosen by the Best Brains for Peabody Award consideration - and won.

It’s uniformly strong all the way through with the riffs. I think it helps that the movie is so earnest and tries so hard, but falls on its face in the execution. But even in that falling, the movie doesn’t feel painful in a repellent or distancing manner.

MST3K feels that much funnier when they can zero in on actors/characters for running gags and consistent riffs, and we get that here with Jack Palance, Cabot’s dwarf buddy, and the ever-wormy Watney. The riff about how the resting dwarf looks like a “gravy boat” is particularly effective.

Plus, there’s all the incident stuff. I love the riff about the night’s plans for the “Crispi” guy, for one.

All the host segments are a hoot, but what always works for me is that dramatic shift when the gang reads Palance’s book and comes to the part where he notes that he may have killed a guy. For whatever reason, the end bit with the Mads dancing away is an appropriately zany way to close out this episode of wackiness.

6 Likes

I’m a sucker for a great end credits bit (I hope we get some out of Season 13), and the USA Network Original Movies sketch is one of their best. And it’s amazing to think how far USA Network has come from the days when its programming schedule was a tad on the raunchier side.

That bit and the femmy movie end credits battle from Alien from L.A. are all-time keepers.

6 Likes

The "Hey, check it out in the back! :musical_note: Wash n’ go, Pert Plus! :musical_note: " riff capitalizes on that 80s aura perfectly.

That’s as dangerous as the Ted Nelson drinking game for The Incredible Melting Man! (Well, of the instances where the riffers say his name, anyways.)

7 Likes

Sometimes it surprises me MST3K won just a single award in its entire run. But, if it’s going to be one, that’s quite a prestigious award to earn!

5 Likes

Well sadly, my links don’t work anymore, and I can’t find another source for the stories. :frowning:

2 Likes

Here’s one of them:

http://jubei.ceyah.org:8081/~jandrese/marrissa/TheCaptainAndTheDoctor.html

2 Likes

I think the postscript during the Hercules credits started it all.

4 Likes

I just watched that the other day, and Servo’s Herc and family bit is gold.

4 Likes

Then they evolved it into a whole sketch during Hercules & The Day Of Uranus.

6 Likes

Gor was on Amazon Prime for a while. It’s not very good. Oliver Reed appears inebriated, and he only shows up occasionally. The second one is better especially when it’s riffed.

3 Likes

I always confuse this movie with Wizard of Wor

3 Likes