Pizza 🍕

It’s been forever and a day since I’ve had some eggplant parmigiana pizza.

I might have to snag some when The Batwoman debuts, make a special event even MORE special.

2 Likes

Had my first Roman-style pizza today at Sullivan Street Bakery. Mind-blowingly good stuff.

2 Likes

You’re going to have to explain that. What’s a Roman Style Pizza? (the link didn’t have any info)

2 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

The most noticeable difference is the crust, which is closer to focaccia. In Rome they’re traditionally made as long, narrow pies which are sold “by the foot,” so to speak.

I had a slice of pomodoro that was just crust, tomato sauce, olive oil and salt, and the flavor was amazing … maybe the tomatoiest non-tomato thing I’ve ever eaten. Simple, intense flavor, perfect crust, and just on the back side of the block from where we’re staying. I’ll get pictures when we go back. :smiley:

6 Likes

ooo focaccia and pizza. Sounds heavenly.

5 Likes

That sounds really boss, between the nature of the crust and the fresh ‘zing’ of those ingredients.

There’s a lot of mom-and-pop pizza shops in my neck of the woods, all good, too, but I can’t say that I’ve heard of Roman-style pizza. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for that. Thanks for the heads-up!

3 Likes

I was unfamiliar with it until Bobby Flay and Giada de Laurentiis talked about it on a show they did together a couple of years ago.

4 Likes

My favorite thing about Chicago is traditional style is either 1 1/2 inches thick or an 1/8 inch thick (square cut!). Both delicious but one of them takes over an hour to cook!

2 Likes

There was a restaurant in Burbank years ago that served what they called a “poor boy” pizza which was crust baked with some parmesan and a marinara dipping sauce—just terrific.

2 Likes

This topic is absolutely genius! Pizza! It’s simple yet, brilliant. Who doesn’t love pizza???

Gina’s Pizzaria is pretty good in North Central Wisconsin. They used to be a Buck’s Pizza location. Still same management but they are no longer a franchisee of Bucks.

Most of their ingredients are locally sourced and fresh. Worked for them for a while like 10 years ago, but because I know it’s quality food and they do have their own seasoning, crust, cheese, selection unique to them I keep going. A little more expensive than like Dominos or Pizza Hut, but way better quality. Had a lot of people on delivery runs, and even walk ins tell me it was there go to pizza place within like an hour and a half radius when they were in the area. So yeah, I’d highly recommend if ever in the area!

3 Likes

Nice! I’ve been wanting to try that place.

If you go on the Long Island Rail Road to the Mineola station you can walk right across the street to Taglio Pizza that only makes Roman style.
It may look like Sicilian or Detroit styles but the difference is the crust flavor and texture.

4 Likes

Ya know, the weird thing is there is only once in my life where I can say I was impressed by a pizza enough to remember it years later. Many, many years ago I was vacationing up in North Conway, NH. Lots of restaurants around there. But one night I tried a pizza as a lark from a local inn called the Stonehurst Manor. More of a series of bungalows, but they do have a rather fancy restaurant attached. The pizza I got there was amazing. Goat cheese with parmesan on the crust. They also had a maple, sausage pizza.

It impressed me so much that when I was up in the area years later, I made a point of bringing a friend along and having their pizza again. So that clearly made quite an impression on me.

3 Likes

Oh pizza can be amazing in the right hands. NYC and the area have some real artisan pizza makers.
New Haven has the original Frank Pepe’s coal fired pizza which is a place I stop any time I can work it into a driving trip.
I’m always looking for interesting places when I visit a new area.

3 Likes

Currently stuffing my face at Corner Slice.

Righteous pie.

7 Likes

Been doing the low-carb thing, and Pizza is the hardest part of that. I did learn that Papa Murphys offers a “Crustless Pizza,” which is pretty much what it sounds like. It’s good and scratches the Pizza craving very nicely, although you have to grapple with the knowledge that you’ve just consumed a tray filled with pizza toppings.

5 Likes

I have finally found a nearby place to get proper NYC pizza. It’s a 20 minute drive, and I don’t think twice, because perfection.

Deep dish pizza can be delicious, but it is a casserole, not pizza. Fight me.

Pizza is like BBQ. There is a lot of zealotry
I think it’s ok to have favorites but keep an open mind.
There’s so many takes on pizza that need to be sampled and I am committed to try whatever comes my way.

3 Likes

Roman, Neapolitan, New York, Chicago, Detroit, New Haven, St. Louis, Buffalo … so many styles, all great in their own ways.

2 Likes

Correct, infidel!

Kidding, of course, which is your small comfort when you’re cast out of pizza heaven.

Ok, yes kidding. Except for this: in Utica NY, they pride themselves on an abomination called “upside down pizza,” with cheese on the crust, then toppings, with sauce on top. Utica is trolling everybody, and they should be flagged.

2 Likes