Recipe Exchange 3000

I will be attempting Fritz Brenner’s scrambled eggs recipe this evening. I won’t be doing the vinegar-butter sauce, as it will be accompanying re-heated pulled pork from yesterday, which has sauce of its own.

2 Likes

Good luick! It’s like eating custard they are soooo smooth

1 Like

I don’t have any single cream, but I do have clotted cream. So I’ll use a bit less of that, as it is extremely rich. I may also add some finely-chopped chives to the mixture, after the first step of cooking.

1 Like

Okay, I did it and. for a first effort, it was very good. The mixture takes quite a long time to coalesce into actual scrambled eggs, but it does assume the form eventually.
It did leak more melted butter than I expected, so I’ll adjust the recipe proportions a little next time. Then again, it it was served on toast, the extra melted butter would be fine, dripping into the toast.

2 Likes

Thought we were talking about durian for a minute. Those are quite smooth and custardy, and “good luck” is an appropriate thing to say to a first time durian eater.

I will add that durian is one of the best and worst things I have eaten. It tastes like a beautiful mixture of pineapple and banana, with some grass notes and an unfortunate bit of rotten onion.

1 Like

When they say 45 minutes, they mean it. LOL! Glad you enjoyed them.

1 Like

I’ve heard that. They look disgusting, they smell even worse, but they actually taste pretty good. For a fruit that propagates through animal ingesting and spreading the seeds, you’d think it would be a little better. Maybe it tastes different to an orangutan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Final Maltese Justice milkshake was and is still my favorite.

2 Likes

For some reason my electric company is in the habit of periodically putting out cookie cook books at the holidays. They’ve compiled every one they’ve ever released and made them available as pdf files on their website. There are 60 of them at this point dating back as far as 1932. Here’s the link if anyone wants to take a look: Get Cookie Books | We Energies

3 Likes

That’s actually very cool! Will have to peruse these at some point and find new recipes.

2 Likes

Crackers.

That is all.

(Yes, that’s a joke and you all know which experiment that’s from. TBH, I can’t really think of any strict recipes I follow or have followed. Some spice blends for various Indian [yes, I know, very broad, diverse category] have some rules or guidelines, but there’s always exceptions. Frozen squid is very tricky to work with, though, IME. Think Blood Waters of Dr. Z or something. Bread/dough formulas are a different story, but I don’t have anything new to add there other than to not be afraid of autolyse and long fermentation times, without overusing levain/levure [aka commercial yeasts vs. natural yeasts]).

1 Like

How about some Long John Silver’s “crumbs”?

2 Likes

Those are my dad’s favorite food. Sadly it’s hard to find a LJS anymore.

1 Like

Many fond memories of LJS. I think every one of their menu items was flammable, except for the coleslaw. But yes, crumbs = yum, or at least that was my perception as a kid.

2 Likes

I’m a recipe magpie. I’ve got a huge Google Drive folder with hundreds of recipes, and I especially like other cuisines. DM me if interested.

2 Likes