Serve Me Up Those Tropes 'N Chips!! 😋

It’s okay. I would never go to TVTropes, hahaha

It may be straddling the line between trope and joke, but I will always love a good “walk this way” gag. Thanks, Mel Brooks!

5 Likes

Strangely enough, I’ve never been anything but a dabbler in that space. I appreciate its existence. But when it comes to creating stuff, I already have to slay the thousand dragons of self-doubt pretty much every day. Making a site like that a second home would just encourage more dragons to show up.

1 Like

Bond. James Bond.

3 Likes

I love the Dating Catwoman trope. Heroes and villains trapped in the throes of passion! Or, you know, bickering when they realise they’ve just ruined each others’ night and probably have to look like they’re doing something about it. I even wrote a book around it!

2 Likes

Puns after killing a bad guy in an action movie and by the master of it.

arnold schwarzenegger commando GIF

5 Likes

So I know now that @optiMSTie and @Dr_Phantom have both spent time on the site of interminable categorization, based on the way that they use the specific names assigned to the concepts given.

As for me, I actually kind of like multiversal nonsense, because it’s a fun way to do theme and variations with an established setup. Fun premise for an anthology sort of story.

1 Like

I don’t like it when some guy (it’s usually a guy) tells a person experiencing something unexplained or who believes in something unnatural that the thing doesn’t exist because it doesn’t! But I DO like it when they are proven to be very wrong and they know it.
Don’t be That Guy, folks.

2 Likes

What? No no no, I’m covering my ears, can’t hear you. “La la la la …”

Scooby-Doo is the first and only show to ever do this gag. :joy:

1 Like

The reluctant gunfighter. Not necessarily a Western trope, but personified in the film The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck. The expert who is tired of being challenged and just wants to retire but gets challenged by the young hotshot.

3 Likes

Another one I love is when bad guys are friends who actually care about each other. With some villains it doesn’t make sense, but most of the time bad guys are just as capable of being friends as the heroes. Let them bond over a movie, worry when the other is captured, and share a Torgo’s Pizza. It’s an easy thing to add a bit of depth and character.

One of the little things I like about Teen Titans Go! is that the Hive (bad guy team) shows more genuine affection than our degenerate heroes.

3 Likes

To be fair, The Hive are closer to the good guy team considering the way the Titans act.

I remember seeing this in a number of Westerns.
It was used a number of times in Alias Smith and Jones.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it in everything from science fiction to the high school loner that doesn’t want to get in a fight yet again.

3 Likes

“I thought I was out of the baking game, but when they cut funding for band camp, I knew I had no other choice. Time to whip up some cupcakes.”

4 Likes

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

4 Likes

I think I remember it being satirized in the ending of The Lazarus Man’s episode: “Panorama.”

P.S. - I fondly remember this show, though I haven’t seen it in decades. Be forewarned that if you look it up on wiki, there’s major spoilers right there in the first paragraph. Bah!

Lazarus Man is currently being shown on GetTV, an over-the-air station.
EDIT: Not literally currently - an hour and a half from now.

1 Like

Cool! (Too bad I won’t be home.)

1 Like

The real monster is man

Also, theme songs that have an abrupt ending.

3 Likes