STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

I’m not finding anything about Kurtzman being “out” at Paramount. Considering how popular SNW is at least, I find it hard to believe.

5 Likes

That’d be a big turnaround, considering that Paramount extended his contract another five years just a year ago.

2 Likes

Let me add my voice to the dubiousness. Star Trek hasn’t been this popular in years, if ever.

2 Likes

It looks like about 6 months ago there was an anti-Kurtzman petition started to make all recent Treks non-canon. It shows thousands of signatures, but apparently didn’t sway Paramount. As mentioned above, they just signed a 9-figure multi-year contract with his production company where “Kurtzman will remain at the helm of the growing Star Trek franchise for the next six years.”) Money talks.

Another article I came across also quoted fan hatred for new Trek, but that was against the Next Generation series around the time of its debut.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember the absolute vitriol over Next Generation. It was silly. Then you got the suspiciously possibly racist complaints about Sisko when DS9 started.

Edit: And worse ones about Tuvok. “You can’t have a black Vulcan! Vulcans are white!” Who says?

2 Likes

Probably from the same rumor mill as “Kathleen Kennedy is totally fired, yo!” that keeps moving goalposts on when that exactly is.

2 Likes

actually, Vulcans are green. if anything, he should have just been a darker shade of green.

also, twitter popularity does not equate real life popularity. nu trek merchandise doesn’t sell. the fourth movie wasn’t made for a reason… Picard S3 feels like a Softreboot with the next gen crew in that they’ll be sure to ruin.

and it’s a shame. Picard had some interesting things about it, some nice visuals. just doesn’t feel like trek.

1 Like

Seems this one says he’s there till 2026. god I hope not. ST can’t survive that long with this non fan at the helm.

1 Like

No, Vulcans are fictional, so they can be any color they decide they are. If they decide there are orange Vulcans, there will be orange Vulcans. You or I do not get to decide this for them.

2 Likes

now you’re just being silly. didn’t one of the nu trek have an albino klingon of all things? no no and more no :).

1 Like

It did. Kurtzman even traveled back in time to 1994 to establish it as canon too. Is there no depths to which that dastard won’t sink?

4 Likes

Been a while since I watched DS9, will admit I forgot about that ep.

but still, that’s not the extreme length they went in nu trek. still looks pretty much like a klingon there.

1 Like

At least Season 3 Picard Worf looks fine.

2 Likes

I will give them that. I WANT to have hope it will be good…but won’t be angry if it’s bad either. just sad at wasted opportunities.

1 Like

Actually, Vulcan blood is green, which gives their skin a green cast, just as red human blood gives human skin a pink cast.

You can have a dark skinned Vulcan just as you can a dark skinned human, all of whom have a pinkish cast to their skin no matter how dark or light they are.

4 Likes

ST:IV in 4K HDR was a much more theater like experience than ST:II.

The HDR really shines when the probe is on screen, although in a few scenes the extra detail lets you see some seams and small misalignment of the special effects that make the “brain” glow.

Very film like throughout, consistent grain, fantastic detail and color.

Never noticed before the silly red fog effects they put in the window of the nuclear reactor on the Enterprise. I guess a big metal can would be too boring a visual…

Been about 7 or 8 years since watching it, kind of forgot how much fun it is, it’s such a feel good movie. Makes me remember when it came out and people at work that were not Star Trek fans going on about how much they liked it.

5 Likes

ST: IV is BY FAR my favorite Star Trek movie. It’s fun, it’s got a good scientist, everyone gets some good material, and it resolves Spock’s dilemma about himself and his identity in a very nice and very Spockian way.

Not forgetting the unforgettable Punk on the Bus.

5 Likes

While I’m not going weigh in on the main part of the discussion because I haven’t watched any of the shows in question, this is a flawed argument. No one is unaware that Vulcans are fictional. However, they are a fictional species with canon characteristics. Sure, it can be written any way they want it because they own it, but once a world has been established, making random changes it not okay from a story-telling standpoint. It destroys the established world. In the case of Star Trek, it has been long established that they are green-tinged because of the green blood, and it is fine to be bothered by a random change that makes no sense within the established world. If they decided to suddenly make Vulcans orange without any explanation, it would be problematic and would deserve being questioned.

This is one of the reasons why I have had problems with a lot of movies made based on books I love. I know the established world and when those changes are made, especially if there was no reason to do it (Sphere I’m looking at YOU!), it ruins my enjoyment and it is not the story I want to see…because it’s not the story that they claim they’re telling. They’ve ruined the story they claim to be telling with those changes. There’s nothing wrong with calling them out.

And if enough people expressed their displeasure by not buying what is being sold, it would either fail or they would make changes.

My favorite Star Trek movie as well. It’s the one I’ve watched the most by far. However, I will say that VI is also really fun. There are some great performances as they wrapped up TOS movies.

2 Likes

You can have dark skin that is green-tinged. That was not the arguments I heard. I didn’t hear “Vulcans are supposed to be green-tinged,” I heard, “you can’t have a black Vulcan.” That was nonsense then and it’s nonsense now.

4 Likes

I have no problem with that, but that’s not what you were arguing. You were arguing that they can do whatever they want to Vulcans because they’re fictional and I disagree with that. (And actually, I agree that, with the established greenness of Vulcans, when they have black Vulcans, they should be green-tinged as well for consistency.)

3 Likes