STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

I don’t have a problem arguing that Tuvok should have been greener. I probably went too far with the ‘organge’ thing, but my original point was that there were some suspiciously race-based criticisms of both Tuvok and Sisko.

3 Likes

When I was watching DS9 (and the very brief time I watched Voyager [never cared much for that one]), I was not aware of any larger community. I just watched the show or didn’t watch it. All that mattered was whether or not I myself enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

And for the record, I would sit and listen to Sisko read the phonebook. I love his voice. It is so deep and rich and soothing.

3 Likes

He did a documentary on African Animals that is on YouTube. I wish I remembered the name or I would link to it. But it was great hearing his voice.

If the DS9 documentary is any indication, he’s kind of a nut. But in a nice way.

2 Likes

There’s lots of Avery Brooks narrating on YouTube, maybe too many to list. There are nature programs like Africa’s Animal Kingdom, Walking With Dinosaurs (American-narrated), and National Geographic: World’s Last Great Places: Hidden Congo and Virunga. And he sparsely narrates but also appears in: Bible Mysteries: “Revelation : … End of the World?”. There’s even his IBM Linux commercial.

3 Likes

Cool!

It’s my understanding that he cares much more about his music these days than acting, which is too bad because he’s a very good actor.

3 Likes

Here is the new addition to our household!

6 Likes

I’ve had that Spock cutout in the shopping cart, but it’s a bit hard to spend that much on a sheet of cardboard with a picture on it…

If it were waterproof and I could attach it to my front porch, I’d probably spend a bunch on that…

2 Likes

We had a vinyl sticker which was a lot cheaper, but pieces kept falling off, so I finally bit the bullet and got this one.

1 Like

I felt it appropriate that my first post should be here, in my obsession. Grew up with TNG then obsessed over DS9 and TOS movies. Voyager is a breath of fresh air. Still to this day can’t give Enterprise the love it deserves, but I’m trying! While the reboot movies are entertaining, they’re not my fav >.< Discovery gives me anxiety, lol, but still fun to watch. I find Picard to be exciting, Strange New Worlds has my new favorite 1st officer <3 LOVE LOVE LOVE Lower Decks, it’s literally like being in the Navy again, I laugh way too hard XD
Nice to meet you all ^.^

8 Likes

Welcome, IndiCat! Always nice to meet someone who loves both MST3K and Star Trek! Trace Beaulieu also approves.

2 Likes

Nice to meet you!

3 Likes

Got the 4K box set of classic Trek movies. Yay!

Since we had watched Wrath of Khan recently in a theater, we decided to start with Search for Spock. It has been a llloooooonnnnnggggg time since I watched this one. (Long time. Like maybe not since the 80s long time)

Anyway, it’s not a bad flick. It certainly suffers from middle movie syndrome. And then there’s the problem that the scenes with McCoy returning Spock’s soul are basically dull since from the viewer’s POV, absolutely nothing happens.

Picked out Christopher Lloyd easily enough, but his second in command gave me fits through the whole movie. I know I knew him from somewhere, there was something in the eyes and the voice. Completely gobsmacked to realise it was John Larroquette when watching the credits.

Some of the effects in this one did not hold up well. The Klingon dog/puppet among them. Still, it was entertaining, and now that I own it, it won’t be 30-40 years before I watch it again. :wink:

6 Likes

Welcome! I haven’t watched any of the new stuff. I tried out the Kelvin movies and couldn’t like them and I don’t have any of the streaming services that carry the new stuff. :slight_smile: However, I also got started with TNG and TOS movies. I’ve seen all of TNG, TOS and dabbled in DS9 and Voyager but could never get into Voyager. I watched the first couple of seasons of Enterprise and then didn’t have TV anymore. :slight_smile:

@LadyShelley I was surprised by John Larroquette, too! I really enjoyed the movie overall. I especially liked the very beginning with the Klingon woman willingly sacrificing herself. It gives a glimpse into the values of the Klingons. She knew that reading the data would lead to her losing her life but she decided to do so in order to verify that it was legitimate.

4 Likes

If you hadn’t heard, Louise Fletcher, the actress who played Deep Space Nine’s Kai Winn, passed away Friday at age 88. She was perhaps most famous for her Best Actress Oscar-winning role as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest (1975). Kai Winn was somewhat like Ratched, but Ratched was far worse, the villain of the movie.

Oddly enough, that year was also the year that a 23(?)-year-old Carol Kane was nominated for the same Best Actress Oscar, for the movie Hester Street. (As mentioned above, Carol Kane joins Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2 in a recurring role.)

4 Likes

We can literally blame the Fantastic Four for this turn of affairs.

3 Likes

All right who gave Terry Gilliam the reins to Star Trek? LOL!

for those who don’t get the joke Gilliam’s films are infamous for going over budget and getting delayed, sometimes by decades.

3 Likes

Thank you for joining us, and welcome to the forums! :smiley: Awesome to have a MSTie and a Trekkie join our ranks here!

3 Likes

I’m kind of torn about Star Trek Into Something I Can’t See Through the Lens Flare being shelved. On the one hand, the Abrams Trek films did their job of showing Paramount execs that the world is hungry for more Trek content, and boy did we get it. But on the other, I thought Karl Urban and Zach Quinto in particular played their roles magnificently, and who in their right minds wouldn’t want more Simon Pegg as Scotty?

But I mean on the third hand, were finally getting a Fantastic Four movie out of the deal. How could that possibly go wrong?

6 Likes

You mean like the last three times they tried? :smiley:

But honestly, I don’t really care about a new Abrams Trek movie. While I agree that Karl Urban and Simon Pegg are absolutely great in their roles, I just could not get into the Kelvin timeline.

I’m not really surprised that they’re shelving it. They announced it before the cast even knew about it which didn’t really seem to indicate good timing on their parts.

3 Likes

I feel the same way. Throw in the fact that all the recent television shows are firmly set in the “prime” timeline, and the Kelvin timeline movies are increasingly looking like a new Mirror Universe — a place to occasionally be visited on rare occasions by the rest of Trek to provide a contrast.

Maybe if we’re extra good, we’ll eventually be treated by Karl Urban reprising his role as McCoy towards the end of SNW.

4 Likes