That's just how my mind works

Tell us the weird things you come up with, just as all MSTies do.

I’ll start:

I got a new ball jointed doll which I named ‘Marie’, then I got thinking that because she’s a mass produced doll, there are thousands like her, so her name is now ‘Lintilla Marie’.

The right people will get it.

8 Likes

I had to look up the reference. D’oh!!

Anyway, I think I already covered this question in The Ink And Paint Club thread. I’m sure I mentioned before that my old roommate’s buddies used to take her aside and nervously ask her if I did a lot drugs. Because y’know… long hair and stuff like this:

Spiral_2_Detail_A

This is why I identify so strongly with the show, I guess. Anyway, my roommate didn’t watch it but the thread title is probably almost how she explained me to people. :grin: This is just a tiny corner of a monster spiral shape which was something like a 2’ square when I finished it. Back in those days, I made a lot of large works because I had a workspace all to myself. [sigh]

7 Likes

What might be called number coincidences stir something in my mind. For example, the fact that 56 and 65 are the only two-digit numbers (i.e. whole numbers from 10 to 99 inclusive) that are the reverse of each other and whose difference and sum are both perfect squares.

(65 - 56 = 9 = 3 squared; 56 + 65 = 121 = 11 squared)

Similarly, 47 and 74 are the only two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other and whose sum is a perfect square and whose difference is a perfect cube.

(74 - 47 = 27 = 3 cubed; 47 + 74 = 121 = 11 squared)

As another example 4112 is the only four-digit number for which the sum of the digits is the same as the product of the digits and that is evenly divisible by this sum or product.

(4 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 8; 4 x 1 x 1 x 2 = 8; 4112 divided by 8 = 514)

10 Likes

Ok, those are some seriously neat facts.

5 Likes

You may find this site useful or possibility entertaining -

https://oeis.org/

3 Likes

I’ve already mentioned several times that I build guitar pedals as a hobby. Well, I also have a brain that asks weird questions, like, “Can I build a guitar pedal that is alive?” The answer is yes, by the way. I built a Chia Pedal.

When the seeds first sprouted, it looked like this:

And, here is the final result:

13 Likes

How do you adjust it/stomp it without smashing all the plants?

5 Likes

Adjusting it is no problem. Stomping on it would have been an entirely different thing. It was fully functional, but very impractical. I couldn’t have been happier.

13 Likes

Highly trained faeries!

4 Likes

“ He left me with a feeling that what he said was basically sound
Like a black hole in space or philosophy, useless but profound”

5 Likes

I have a very tiny electric spinning wheel, which goes by the name Nano.
I have named it Feynman.

8 Likes

A couple of other number coincidences I thought up quite some years ago.

Imagine a rectangular box. Each of the three dimensions is a whole, positive number of inches, and each one is different from the others. The volume of the box in cubic inches is equal to the surface area of all six sides of the box in square inches. If none of the three dimensions is a prime number, what are the dimensions of the box?

4 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches.

I have a certain number of money consisting entirely of some one-dollar bills and some ten-dollar bills. (More than zero of each.) The number of one-dollar bills multiplied by the number of ten-dollar bills is equal to the total amount of money I have in dollars. The number of ten-dollar bills is not a prime. How much money do I have?

12 one-dollar bills and 6 ten-dollar bills. = 72 dollars.

For both of these, there would be multiple possibilities if I had not included the “not a prime” requirement.

4 Likes

red stapler guy voice: er… I was told there would be no math

4 Likes

His name is Milton Waddams.

2 Likes

fight club chant GIF

A show last month was called “Night of 1000 Dollys” which turns out to have been in honor of Dolly Parton, but I clearly misunderstood the assignment:

3 Likes