The 90s Thread - You know, lots of kids will remember these things.

In addition to some others listed above:

• X-Men – Saturday morning animated TV series.
  • ReBoot – CGI animated TV series.
  • Babylon 5 – Syndicated TV series.
  • RoadRunner high-speed Internet service – Much faster than dial-up! :sunglasses:
  • Netflix DVDs by mail – Great web-based queuing system, surprisingly fast.

• VR.5 – TV series with Lori Singer (Footloose), Anthony Head, Louise Fletcher.
  • Truly, Madly, Deeply – Film. “It’s like ‘Ghost’ but for thinking people.” :grin:
  • Curling becomes an Olympics event.
  • No New Doctor Who. :frowning:
2 Likes

I beg to differ.

1 Like

Eh, ….

2 Likes

Yeah, it wasn’t good… but he’s great in the Big Finish audios.

1 Like

Except for not watching Due South this describes me a well. Maybe I should try to find Due South! Aside from The X-Files and of course MST3K, the Great Show of the 90’s was Twin Peaks. I remember you could go to the mall and buy a shirt that said “Who killed Laura Palmer?” on it.

I thought MT was great. Not as great as the original maybe? But it had Prince, so…

The talk about Jim Henson reminded me that we lost another giant in the 90’s – Theodore Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss. If you have any interest in Dr Seuss at all, this biography is great:

2 Likes

You know it seems some of us were in college or post-college in the glorious '90s. So, in honor of us oldies, I have created The 80s Thread.

That’s 1980’s, Servo!

2 Likes

The 1980s represent innocence and childhood for me.

The 1990s represent adolescence, adulthood…and the loss of that innocence.

That said, as much as I prefer the 1980s to the 1990s, I would gladly take that decade over this one!

Now to get away from philosophizing…I remember how the 1990s was a lot more technological. Home video kept improving as we got DVDs by the end of the decade. Cable & satellite brought us even more channels, which is how some of us (me included) got access to our beloved MST3K! Computers kept improving too. I remember how big the Internet was. Even though dial-up is primitive by today’s standards of Wi-Fi and smartphones, being able to access message boards, chat rooms and pages loaded with info was mind-blowing for me.

7 Likes

My cable company never had Comedy Central so I was screwed. Last year I lived in the city of that company, mom switched to Dish Network just for Turner Classic Movies around 2002 so I finally got Comedy Central. One I would constantly watch was Beat the Geeks and Conan reruns.

2 Likes

We must have gotten cable in 1990 because I remember seeing advertisements for the Ha! comedy channel. I was more into Nickelodeon at the time though. I was into Comedy Central a few years later and finally discovered MST3K in 1993. I miss being able to turn on MTV or VH1 and just let it be on.

5 Likes

I’m just going to randomly say this here: The worst thing about Crystal Pepsi wasn’t the taste. Without the caramel color, you could see random crud floating in it if you looked carefully. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

4 Likes

BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!

Jon Lovitz - The Critic: Buy My Book! | Author quotes, Jon lovitz, Books

5 Likes

One of the best riffs of the new season.

6 Likes

Yeah, you’d always see those “IF YOU DON’T GET COMEDY CENTRAL, CALL YOUR LOCAL CABLE COMPANY” ads.

And believe me, I tried, but the local cable company ain’t about to hear some kid telling them to pick up Comedy Central.

We had the Sci-Fi Channel, and even before MST3K, it was the best. Before the change of management and eventual station decay, the Sci-Fi Channel in its prime was an unbelievably sensational channel.

3 Likes

Comedy Central was the Comedy Channel originally. They merged with Ha! and formed Comedy Central. (They were CTV: The Comedy Network for a teeny tiny bit of time.)

5 Likes

I watched SO MUCH stand up comedy shows, early SNL, and Kids in the Hall.
Probably explains a lot.

6 Likes

It’s a good way to be, aye!

1 Like

That brief time in the post grunge and pre TRL 90s when this became the next big thing.

Any riots lately?
Edward James Olmos Fashion GIF

1 Like

A photo from Facebook - from 1991, a setup of a personal computer and your gateway to the World Wide Web (or what there was of it then).

I remember we had a setup like this. Our first true PC was an AST with CD-ROM drive and Windows 3.1. Our computer came with Encarta 1994 and Cinemania 1994 CDs.

8 Likes

That could have been me playing Carmen Sandiego in our basement with my stack of floppies and geographic reference book handy.

9 Likes

Friends then was like Taylor Swift now.

2 Likes