The 90s Thread - You know, lots of kids will remember these things.

Nostalgia is a toxic force but hey, it makes for fun posting. Let’s reflect on the 1990s! Pop culture, world events, even just your life. What do you have to share?

5 Likes

Beavis & Butthead
Ren & Stimpy
Star Trek DS9
Those were a few of my fave shows back then :+1:

3 Likes

I would, but I’m too cool for that sort of thing.

5 Likes

Do a lot of heroin and vote for Bill Clinton!

homer simpson GIF

4 Likes

Tight-rolled jeans.

2 Likes

Loved this cult MTV show.

2yf

4 Likes

The 90s, let’s see. I got married, worked a boring job, lived a boring life.

But there was MST3K!

And (briefly) Nirvana

Coach Holmgren, Brett Favre and Reggie White helped the PACKERS WIN THE SUPERBOWL! WOO-HOO!

My favorite western, The Unforgiven was released.

And after years and years of collecting dust, I picked up my guitar again, eventually went back out and played gigs, started writing songs again.

2 Likes

Nine Inch Nails’ The Downward Spiral was released in 1994 and continues to blow my mind decades later.

On a lighter note, there was Fraiser. I always appreciated that they didn’t talk down to the viewer. Also that the moral of so many episodes was how much worse a lie would make a situation rather than just fessing up and accepting the consequences.
And finally, Third Rock From the Sun with its AMAZING talented cast. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

The 90s …

buried my father
Graduated college
Got married
Bought my first (and so far only) house

Oooohhh, pop culture …

Star Trek (lots of great Trek in the 90s)

MST3K!!!

The adult cartoons like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series (which led to Batman Beyond in the 2000s)

The WB and UPN networks

7 Likes

I remember the 90’s! (That’s the 1990’s, Servo.)

I graduated college. I worked at an office, which I hated, so then I worked at an animal shelter. Then I worked at a different office.

Kurt Cobain died. Pulp Fiction came out.

Mostly, I looked forward to NYE '99 so we could all hear the Prince song at midnight (which I did, in a gay bar in San Francisco).

Good times!

7 Likes

I was in IT at the time, so I had to protect us all from TEH Y2K!

4 Likes

The '90s. I discovered MST3K, of course. Also, I graduated high school at the end of the decade.

In addition, my folks got their first computer. I still remember that day (I want to say that was '91).

Music-wise, I was really into Alanis Morrisette, Garbage (who I just saw the other night, btw–Shirley Manson is still cool), Green Day, Nirvana, and weirdly enough, the Spice Girls (don’t @ me).

TV-wise, I was really into My So-Called Life, TGIF, the NBC Must See TV lineup, plus a lot of Comedy Central and MTV, not to mention Late Night With Conan O’Brien. Oh, and The Simpsons, of course.

3 Likes

Affordable rents.

Still believing in democracy. [sad trombone]

Usenet.

A dozen cool local free arts/music/culture papers, including one I worked for during its very short life. lol

6 Likes

Me too. Updated a big load of COBOL programs.

3 Likes

CHICKEN SANDWICH, CARL!!!

1 Like

Ah, the 90s. That was when I was in junior high and high school. Great times, those.

I was all about playing SNES and Genesis (with the occasional returns to the NES), and I loved loved loved listening to Soundgarden and the Beastie Boys. I discovered Jamiroquai around that time, and my musical horizons were expanded EVEN FURTHER.

That was at a time when the Internet was in its relative infancy, and I would have to go to the local library to use the Internet… well, before we could get a reliable ISP. It was at the library that I would print up stuff from the Satellite News site or the official MST3K site over at the Sci-Fi Channel.

There was a LOT of MTV watched in that time, especially with regards to The State and Beavis & Butt-head. I was also very keen on Frasier and Seinfeld (but avoided Friends like the plague). This was an era when The Simpsons still really rocked it.

It was in the 90s that I really started to get super-ultra-mega geeky about film. I suppose I always was, but there was a time when the local Blockbuster figured heavily into my life, and I came away with sooooo many movie rentals (when I wasn’t renting SNES and Genesis games). And there were all the different trips to the various theaters in my neck of the woods.

Loved me The Truman Show. My eyes were popped WAY THE HELL OPEN by The Matrix. Jurassic Park was the raddest thing that ever radded. I’ve had the endings of The Usual Suspects AND The Sixth Sense ruined for me the literal day before I saw them, but they still rocked out. Bowfinger was the absolute funnybone jam. Scream knocked me on my duff and left me wanting MORE. Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful felt so seismic and important, and all in the same year, too.

And The Phantom Menace, well… the less said about that, the better.

3 Likes

Yeah, my husband was at Yahoo! at the time, and that was part of his job as well.

Y’all did such a good job that now everybody thinks there was never a problem!

4 Likes

POOR LITTLE CARL WITH THE PUPPY DOG EYES!

2 Likes

WE WOULDN’T WANT HIM TO DO HIS JOB!!!

2 Likes

In the late '90s my then-boyfriend-now-husband and I rented a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment with a balcony in Palo Alto, CA for $950 per month. Rents for that sort of thing in that location are now over $4000/mo.

If anyone’s wondering, I ran an inflation calculator that says $950 in 1996 is worth $1,847.38 today.

6 Likes