The Best From Your Birth Year

Movies:
This was the year of Apocalypse Now, but my favorites for the year are:

1. Monty Python’s Life of Brian
  2. Mad Max
  3. The Jerk

Music:
Lean year for me. Just missing 1979 by mere days, Michael Stipe and Peter Buck met in January 1980.

Books:
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!
Kurt Vonnegut published Jailbird in 1979 but I haven’t read it yet :grimacing:

1979 was also the year of Space Invaders, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Galaxian, and many others!

2 Likes

Hey, at least that’s something.

Before that, anybody here born in 1958 could point to Tennis for Two, and anybody born in 1962 could point to Spacewar! With an exclamation point and everything. And those were only played by like, scientists and engineers.

1 Like

I never really encountered Sendak until I was already in my late teens. My elementary school go-tos were Seuss, Schulz… and the original Star Trek. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey - we share a birth year (1961). Mine was May 29. That year gave us a film that was destined to also become one of my favorite MST experiments… The Beast of Yucca Flats!

Also one of the best of the Poe films (in my opinion) from Roger Corman/Vincent Price, also starring the iconic Barbara Steele - “The Pit and the Pendulum”

… and a personal favorite, “Werewolf in a Girls’ Dormatory” (which hopefully will be an experiment once day, thanks to the Gizmoplex)!

2 Likes

Well, that’s cool. And I mentioned Yucca Flat being one of my favorites too.

Our birth dates are close as well (I’m May 27). I’ve been waiting for someone older than me to pipe in, but so far, I’m the elder… by 2 days. Come on, fess up, someone from the '50s has to be here on the forum. I’d love to hear from you (and see your faves)

1 Like