The Casting That Almost Happened

I heard that Ringo Starr wanted to play Sam Gamgee, but I never heard about a full-on Beatles project.

I do know that in the 60’s, Forrest Ackerman and some other people actually visited Tolkien in Oxford to pitch an animated version of LotR in which the characters would fly everywhere on giant eagles… to cut out all that boring walking…

By that time Tolkien was too old a man to physically throw them out the front door.

3 Likes

There were rumors that when Joel Hodgson was kicking around the idea of exiting the show via a “sex ray” that would turn J.R. into a woman, his replacement as host would be Bridget! :thinking: While I think she would’ve been a fine host, I don’t really picture her in my mind as Rule 63! Joel. But maybe as his fraternal twin it would’ve worked. Hmmm…

Walter George Alton of Puma Man fame says in his Shout Factory interview that he at least tried to audition for the role of the deranged bisexual murderer (thanks, Seventies! Now go right to Hell) in Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

Angelica Huston and Bette Midler both turned down the lead in Misery, which ended up making Kathy Bates’ career though she’d been working in the biz for years at that point.

3 Likes

Fascinating.

1 Like

To be fair, Danny would have been a pretty damn good Vizzini. Channelling his Louie de Palma character from Taxi, I think he’d have been a bit sleazier towards Princess Buttercup than Wallace Shawn, though.

4 Likes

Huh, Even Back then people were asking why they didn’t just use the eagles…

(Ironically I think the Veggietales parody is one of the few things to get it right… The Eagle tells them he’s not their personal airplane and they should just find there own ride)

1 Like

And that’s exactly why they didn’t do it!

1 Like

Although I’ve also heard arguements involving The Orcs likely had AAA (anti-aircraft-archers), and also they didn’t want to be corrupted or something…

But Mainly it’s because The Eagles aren’t their own personal Airplane, Besides I don’t think they’d listen to Gandalf anyway… It was Radagast all along (really in the books it was radagast who called the eagles to break gandalf out, so It’s possible that he sent the eagles for the other times too…and I guess the eagles just like radagast more because… Um… Reasons?)

1 Like

Any DM knows the answer to that question: Gandalf didn’t have enough levels to cast the eagle summoning spell until he got all that XP from killing the Balrog.

1 Like

I remember that argument. “Gandalf was only a 5th level wizard based on the spells we see him cast!”

2 Likes

TBH you could swap Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire in virtually any movie either one of them ever did and I’m not sure I would notice.

Except for Bubble Boy, which is Jake’s Lawrence of Arabia

1 Like

Maguire acts a degree warmer than Gyllenhaal and Jake is a dab too mannerly next to Tobey. They are interchangeable performers though Maguire glows off the frame a bit beyond Gyllenhaal’s greatest efforts. Jake excels at excess dialogue and monologues and shines in oratory.

Now I kinda wonder what would be different if Maguire was in Final Destination?

(and not just because Then I’d be able to ask what if Jake Gyllenhaal was in Final Destination instead of Tobey Maguire)

I imagine if he’d still get cast as Spider-Man, he might have a bit more experience playing a high school student… Also people would make jokes about Spidey-sense and exploding planes and premonitions

2 Likes

He also has a good character in The Expanse.

2 Likes

I would absolutely love to see this happen, for science. If anyone here is making deepfake recast videos for fun, please do us all a solid.

Although we probably already saw Tobey’s take on Donnie Darko with that weird middle portion in Spider-Man 3.

2 Likes