The James Webb Space Telescope and other cool astronomy stuff!

They are indeed. Now that I see it with a stroke around the logo, though, it looks less like an L and a 2 than it does on Tom’s hat.

3 Likes

I bet the dot has something to do with dot products.

2 Likes

Livestream starting now: https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

3 Likes
3 Likes

Primary mirror unfolding yet?

1 Like

I believe the port side was set yesterday and the starboard side will be set today.

3 Likes

The starboard wing has now unfolded, and they’re in the process of locking it in place.

4 Likes

Woohoo! Every step closer to first light is so exciting!

4 Likes

The starboard wing is now deployed and locked in place. The primary mirror is now fully deployed!

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/01/08/primary-mirror-wings-deployed-all-major-deployments-complete/

6 Likes

Post-deployment media briefing now scheduled for 2:30 PM EST

1 Like

Now — just don’t let Mike anywhere near the bloody thing!

7 Likes

EDIT: updated this post with a new title to reflect today’s very exciting L2 insertion burn procedure start!

Incredibly good news that the launch has gone so well that we may possibly get more useful time out of the JWST… but 20 years!?! WOW.

6 Likes

I’m all for it! It’s way beyond the shipping stage.

3 Likes

I’ve never been terribly fond of the theme song of the fifth Star Trek live-action series, but it’s just… so fitting for today.

3 Likes

Assuming that you go camping in central Antarctica, at night, during the winter solstice, in a wind storm, and you’ve schlepped in your own wood for the campfire.

4 Likes

Even better news! During the post-deployment briefing, Mike Menzel, the JWST’s mission systems engineer, said that after analysis of the launch and the first two course correction burns, the telescope appears to have enough propellant to function for at least 20 years — twice the design lifetime goal.

7 Likes

Awesome!!

1 Like

McDLT sensor update:

7 Likes

I love how NASA (and the other space agencies) works. All of their missions, they plan for so many years and then essentially are so careful in designing everything with backups and backups and failsafes and everything… and then, it can last for years longer.

6 Likes