The James Webb Space Telescope and other cool astronomy stuff!

I think the damage is worse than it initially appeared. I’ve been comparing the photo of the shadow of the damaged blade to those taken from Ingenuity’s downward-facing camera while in flight (the shadow of the aircraft, specifically). The blades have significant tapering towards the tips, making the ends very narrow.

IMG_1677

The shadow of that ragged tip is much wider, and the blade much shorter than it should be. I think a good chunk of the end of the blade broke off. If true, the next question is if it broke before or after contact with the ground. Probably after, but some clear pictures from Perseverance would help.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely worse; both blades have been damaged. I think it’s a small miracle that Ingenuity remained right side up.

80b6bf36505bf45ceaa0870282cf6debcb80b22d

3 Likes

On the other hand, Japan’s SLIM is more or less functioning even though it’s on its side from how it’s supposed to be, and both its rovers are active. It’s not built to last the night though, which starts tomorrow.

3 Likes

Has it been that long already? I thought they had another week of sun where it landed… They did get lucky the way it tipped over that the solar panels were facing the direction the sun would be setting.

2 Likes

I’m still interested in hearing why one of the descent engine bells broke off during the landing sequence, resulting in SLIM rolling onto its nose upon landing. Scott Manley’s hypothesis is that that engine was running oxidizer-rich and the excess oxidizer ate away at the throat until it just cracked off under the pressure, causing a thrust imbalance.

1 Like

Keep your fingers crossed, but don’t hold your breath. As noted before in this thread, the Moon is a harsh mistress.

7 Likes

Every time I hear that “is a harsh mistress” line I think of The Tick. (“Gravity is a harsh mistress.”) (Someone else can apologize to Heinlein.)

6 Likes

I know it gets me down.

3 Likes

Things are looking grim for our hero.

5 Likes

It failed to click one of the frames with a traffic light in it. :pensive:

6 Likes

I guess we’ll have to wait until V’ger returns.

4 Likes

Looks like Ingenuity didn’t just lose a couple of rotor tips, it lost an entire rotor blade at the end of its last flight.

Ingenuity.

The blade.

8 Likes

In the positive news department -

https://www.reuters.com/technology/space/japans-slim-moon-probe-unexpectedly-survives-lunar-night-2024-02-26/

“ TOKYO, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Japan’s space agency said on Monday its SLIM moon lander has unexpectedly survived a freezing lunar night and re-established communication with the earth, more than a month after the spacecraft made a historic “pinpoint” touchdown on the moon.”

Edit to add -
https://twitter.com/SLIM_JAXA/status/1762094730324902120

8 Likes

Woo-hoo! I figured that if SLIM survived the night we’d hear from it about now — 28 days after it woke up the first time when the sun finally hit its solar panels.

5 Likes

This is a couple of years old, but it’s really neat. NASA did a sonification of exoplanet data. It’s really easy to find where Kepler was focused. :smiley:

2 Likes

If you zoom in you can even see where it’s blind in the gaps between the individual CCDs.

Now remember there’s nothing especially significant about the direction it was pointed…

2 Likes

That’s the most amazing thing to me. It’s like when Hubble was pointed at a spot above the Big Dipper that looked like there was nothing. Not a special location and look at what they found! Same with Kepler. Just a single small area of the sky and they found thousands of planets!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Ran across this today — the first motion picture of a total solar eclipse.

From 1900! It’s still a mystery how the cinematographer adjusted the exposure properly on the fly.

5 Likes

https://blogs.nasa.gov/sunspot/2024/03/13/nasa-engineers-make-progress-toward-understanding-voyager-1-issue/

6 Likes