The James Webb Space Telescope and other cool astronomy stuff!

But an engineer … was able to decode the new signal and found that it contains a readout of the entire FDS memory.

A buffer overrun error?! Here? Now? In this economy?!

But at least it’s more promising that if it were just going “bibbidibidbidbibidbididibbibdidbidbibibidi…”

6 Likes

Wubba Wubba Wubba…

1 Like

Well it was built in the mid-seventies, after all. Whip Inflation Now!

3 Likes
9 Likes

Doctor Who Gifs — Today's This week's theme is…QUARRIES! Yes, that...

8 Likes

I just typed in meteorites into a Google search and meteorite flew across the screen and then the screen shook. That was fun!

Now THIS is a rock:

It’s a pallasite, one of the rarer types of stony-iron meteorites with lots of olivine inclusions. They tend to be expensive even when you’re only buying small pieces.

9 Likes

I got that when I typed in “Chicxulub impactor”

7 Likes

Oh you just want to show off that you can spell Chicxulub. LOL! (I always forget that second “C”)

6 Likes

IMG_1738

5 Likes
4 Likes

Thought you all might appreciate this generated image of Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. It is terrifying and incredibly cool all at the same time.

Source: Brand new black hole image will blow your mind | Mashable

8 Likes

If Earth was (hypothetically) crushed into a black hole, it would be under an inch across.

I don’t have a death wish, but maybe that should be encouraged for everyone’s sake…

2 Likes

Eh, I’ve seen supermassiver.

5 Likes

David Tennant GIF by Doctor Who

3 Likes
3 Likes

This is a place where I often work in Ithaca, New York, near Cornell University. Maybe you can hear, in the background, a 200-foot [60-meter] waterfall, right nearby…

Sagan’s office was in the Cornell University Space Sciences Building, so his message was probably recorded in this general area, near Triphammer Falls.

Some classmates and I once attended a panel held in an Ithaca, NY motel that featured Carl Sagan, Thomas Gold, and James Van Allen (not sure about that last one — it’s been a few decades and Van Allen wasn’t on the Cornell faculty) discussing the future of space exploration. It was 1984, and with the benefit of hindsight they were quite accurate in their predictions.

Unfortunately. But then these men had had decades of dealing with the US government budgetary process by that point.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Voyager was only mostly dead.
IMG_1334

6 Likes
1 Like

NASA nuked hit a house from orbit. They’re sure.

It was completely by accident.

5 Likes