The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

All right, this seems to be one of my gal’s favorite tunes. And Bobbi Humphrey is new to me as a player.

I kind of dig it.

1 Like

Cinema Show live! 7/8 in anticipation of 3/4, with Bill Bruford.

3 Likes

Golldarn! My gal hit me with, via text, “do you know ‘Bring it on home to me’?”

I said “never heard of it, but sometimes play ‘King of the Road’ just to goof off.”

Now, listening to Sam Cooke, I know I’ve heard it. Just didn’t know the title.

Apparently she says she can sing a bit, so I’ve got an hour and forty-three minutes to shower, shave, and come up with a bad-a(( arrangement for either acoustic piano, or piano+Hammond organ.

Yeah, it’s three chords, but I can church it up a bit with the vanilla chords (not that the 12/8 needs any help in that department!)…lots of spaces for nice fills without stepping on the singer’s turf…I see a bunch of ways this tune could be played as an accompanist.

That’s a bad mf tune, yo!

3 Likes

And, yes, woman can actually sing it! Damn! No, didn’t put any preparation for “learning” the tune, just listened to it a few times.

I like this one, though: I don’t hear a woman singing the tune, necessarily, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be. Working girls, you know, doing stuff every bit as heavy as the macho stuff.

Maybe write a new tune sort of “inspired” by this great Allen Toussaint (RIP!) tune.

Dunno.

1 Like

Here’s what I’m spending a few hours on on my Saturday (normal person’s calendar “Friday,” but you know). Just playing the recording and hitting the rewind pretty often. No need for slow-down, but it does take some attention to get it down.

Probably won’t write it out, except maybe a few sketches of voicings in standard notation. Also, should get the chords down on guitar, for the hell of it, but probably won’t get around to that today.

Holy ess, I completely thought for the past six months or so that it was Herbie on acoustic piano. McCoy, of course. Just forgot, I guess, what with having put the CD on a USB stick for the car/FM transmitter device.

Not totally in love with all of the timing in McCoy’s comping, but those open voicings and his solo are something I need in my bag of tricks.

And dig how Kenny D copies a bit of Joe’s form in his solo: he gives himself an “out,” a way to end his chorus, and then he comes back in for one more.

/ * I’m doing a late edit to reflect the end of this day. Yeah, I’m trying to see if my gal can actually hang like a musician and not just a “chick singer,” so I gave her this link via text.

Annie Ross, of course, doing the vocalese on “Twisted,” but in this one, backed up by the Count on acoustic piano.

Good baby-steps intro to how to do a blues, jazz-style, as well as interplay between musicians and vx.

I think she had the idea that “blues” meant wailing like down-home stuff, or something from panhandle FL, no offense intended. Blue-eyed soul or something like that. No, she’s of Latin-American heritage and she’s rather proud of that, but she’s still a mid-Western gal and apparently has some ideas about…I don’t know, however people interpret “Blues in B-flat, let’s go!” is.

For me, blues, and a clave is two things you need for American roots music, and doesn’t have to be shucking and jiving neither. But, a person who’s going to sing with me backing her up needs those two for sure. A lot more, but that’s how it is.

• /
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Something reminded me of people having hard times. My gal’s in “trouble” at her job, my sister’s having troubles, there’s the whole thing in the world, and there’s some people here who seem to have some far more serious problems in life than me at the moment.

I always think these are the best lyrics.

2 Likes

So I was just reminded this happened…

2 Likes

And now for a sound so close to Abba I’m surprised they didn’t sue.

2 Likes

Hello all! Been playing remember when with music lately and recently remembered this song I enjoyed from back in the day.

Never thought much of it aside from bekng vaguely entertaining until I looked up the guy who did it. Turns out he was a straight up legit OG scat singer. Gotta say, mad respect. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

But then they’d have to sue Scissor Sisters! :rofl:

1 Like

Because of what happened that was shocking, unexpecting, understandable, and sad today, I’m currently listening to 2 of the songs from the game Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. If you guys haven’t played/finished Klonoa yet, I would recommend you to not listen to these until the end. But if the rest of you never played it before, or just don’t care, be my guest.

3 Likes

Any Sabbath fans out there?

3 Likes

Did I ever tell you about the time I wrote Dr. Demento and he actually replied? Didn’t think so. :grin:

1 Like

Anyone else’s grandparents listen to swamp pop?

1 Like

Was down in Mexico some years back and had a random dream about a street musician playing a Spanish style acoustic version of this. Obviously didn’t happen, but still can hear that version if I think about it. LOL

2 Likes

Chester Thompson breaking it down. Ess, that mf is wearing the same shoes I just got a few months ago. Just like driving an automobile.

3 Likes

Lenny, man. That cat.

1 Like