The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

Also, the Dreamcast startup theme…

3 Likes
1 Like

Hey you! Do you like classical music, whether if they’re from the baroque, classical, romantic, early modern times, or old folk songs from around the world? Well then the thread below’s for you!

2 Likes

An appreciating for Alice Cooper’s studio albums. I just put the finishing touches on it, polished up the reviews and memories and the list (I think it’s all set, but Heaven knows, I might have more things to fix)

To celebrate I’m listening to this LP (still have the panties, lol) and this song right now, which is bringing back happy memories (once at the end of the Jr. High School year, they played this over the loudspeakers after final bell. I left the school grounds pumped up and smiling that day)

3 Likes

Haven’t had a chance to dig into this, but I do see a typo right away.

Vincent’s last name is Furnier, not Furiner.

2 Likes

Thanks - and fixing that showed that spell-check knew I had it wrong. Don’t know why I didn’t pay attention.

1 Like

He wasn’t a furiner, he was born in Detroit.

3 Likes

Really interesting that the Clockwork Aquario soundtrack seems to sit between “Sounds like Streets of Rage” and “Sounds like Fantasy Zone”.

1 Like

And I somehow misread it as “funnier”.

1 Like

This album has been coming up on the car stereo/thumb drive, which I haven’t really listened to in maybe fifteen years.

And, like all of the Don Patterson albums, when I was listening to them I was focused on DonP’s organ playing, transcribing his lines, his precious few original compositions, and so forth.

But, this is an interesting one because of how much time Pat Martino gets on guitar, often taking the first solo. Indeed, Pat and Don (and Billy James on the trap drums…a classic combination, Don and Billy, as Pat recounts in his autobiography in moving detail).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_You!

1 Like

I realize I’m very, very late to this thread - somehow it had escaped my notice until now.
When I read the title, I thought it meant “Majestic Music” as in music that sounds majestic, and the first thing I thought of was the theme song from the old game show “Break the Bank”, which builds to a big crescendo or something at about 1:30 in this version:

Okay, I’ll leave everyone alone now.

2 Likes

So I lied. Also in the category of “Majestic Music”, Linda Eder doing “Man of La Mancha”.
This is tremendous.

1 Like

After being a fan for 35 years, finally seeing Zakir Hussain play tonight.

And might have felt like a complete idiot when he stopped tuning to look at me like “The show doesn’t start for half an hour. What are you doing?”

“Hi,” he said.

6 Likes

I was reminded this morning that 1997 was a banger year for music. Perhaps the best of the '90s.

Just some of the singles released that year:

3AM - Matchbox Twenty
As Long As You Love Me - Backstreet Boys
Criminal - Fiona Apple
Barbie Girl - Aqua
Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik
Bi**h - Meredith Brooks
Discotheque - U2
Everyday is A Winding Road - Sheryl Crow
The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe
I Can’t Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt
I Do - Lisa Loeb
I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis
I Never Loved You Anyway - The Corrs
I Want You - Savage Garden
Lovefool - The Cardigans
Macarena - Los del Rio
MMMBop - Hanson
My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion (no matter your opinion on this or the movie, this is THE power ballad)
No Diggity - Blackstreet
Ordinary Day - Great Big Sea
Pony - Ginuwine
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Sex and Candy - Marcy Underground
Show Me Love - Robyn
Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
Tubthumping - Chumbawumba
Unbreak My Heart - Toni Braxton
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Where Have All the Cowboys Gone - Paula Cole
You Were Meant For Me - Jewel
Zoot Suit Riot - Cherry Poppin’ Daddies

I rest my case.

3 Likes

I’ll overlook that one.

1 Like

More for me. I love that little goofy slice of sunshine…it was one of my dad’s favorite songs, so I treasure it. And the Hanson boys matured into very fine musicians, so I always encourage people not to judge them by those 4min. :laughing:

2 Likes

1997 was a fantastic year for electronica. It was the year I really got into the genre.

But probably my favorite song from that year is…

2 Likes

Backstory: my kid, a college junior Music Ed major, is currently on a 2-week class trip to Poland, and texted me that she’s on a bus to Krakow this morning.

Turns out, they’re attending a concert tonight. Turns out? It’s Peter Freaking Gabriel, and it’s opening night on his first tour in like 10 years, and Tony Levin and Manu Katché are with him. None of this was deemed important enough to mention?

She really has no idea what she’s in for.

5 Likes

Welp, I like one of them :wink: But I tease.

I took a peek at '97, and yeah… not a whole lot there for me on a quick look over, though I noted a few CDs that suited my tastes…

OK Computer, Radiohead
Homogenic, Bjork
Either/Or, Elliott Smith

The Titanic song was an impressive power ballad, I’ll give you that, but for movie song of the year I was partial to Miss Misery

1 Like

In 97 I was into polyethnic cajun slamgrass.

1 Like