We Made Demon Squad. AMA.

That is fantastic. You guys made an entire feature length movie for less than a major studio Hollywood film would spend on Raisin Snails for the craft services table. Major respect for that.

Congratulations on the movie and on the MSTification of it. It was nice to “meet” you two in the aftershow chat and I’m glad you enjoyed what the MST crew did with/for your movie.

11 Likes

Really cool that your blog on your site celebrates the MST3K episode.

But I also wanted to give a shout out to your merch!

These t shirts are awesome! Any fan of the film, and of Demon Squad should check them out and support this creative duo.

I’ll give a shameless plug, because it’s not me, and I also have no shame. :wink:

15 Likes

Did the Lucifer-type demon guy get cut from the film?

4 Likes

What scene are you most proud of? What scene do you wish didn’t make it to the final cut?

5 Likes

Hi there, I missed last nights showing, when will the rebroadcast be available ??? Please???

2 Likes

I believe it’s already up on the Gizmoplex, unless I’m misunderstanding the version you are looking for.

5 Likes

I’m curious how you went from having an idea to full-on making a movie. At what point did you pull the trigger to get the ball rolling? What pieces had to be in place?

However great my idea for a movie would be, I would struggle mightily getting it made, not being acquainted with anyone in film production.

6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

That’s funny, since it kept occurring when she shook hands and it looked to me like the blink of a nictitating membrane, I initially figured it was some kind of defensive response manifesting in a moment of anxiety like a sort of “blush.” So, the sort of thing you might get if you have anxiety about shaking hands, and of course a third eyelid. When she turned to vapor I re-assessed.

I did wonder if some sort of quick cut to a flashback might clarify what was going on with Daisy’s eyes, or maybe a shot from her POV with a glowing aura around the person, or a close up of the person’s lips whispering their inner thoughts or motivations, or some other cinematic module to show the experience from her perspective. That could be some relatively cheap eye candy and maybe a nice break within dialog-rich bits like greetings. Maybe for Demon Squad: The Special Edition?

Aside: In between literal LOLs at the riffing, I kept trying to decide if this was one of the best amateur films I’d ever seen or a professional Hollywood-type film with a very tight budget (although I had no idea how tight… wow!). It is good storytelling, portrayed and presented to an impressive standard, and it engaged my ADHD-addled brain. I felt almost guilty about laughing at the riffs, a first for me with MST3K, because I feel like everyone deserves so much respect for the film. You can tell from the jokes that the MST3K folks felt that way too… there were no punches below the belt (except in the movie itself). I would happily watch a sequel, unriffed, just to see where it goes. My thanks to everyone involved for entertaining me!

Wait, was I supposed to ask a question?

9 Likes

He was never in it. That was an addition by Wild Eye. I’m assuming for marketing purposes.

The originals, for reference (hopefully they show up!)

14 Likes

Scene, I’m not sure. Shot? The Stranger exploding real good.

I’d have trimmed a few scenes down (interrogation for sure) and tightened up the opening scene.

5 Likes

I suspected the dread hand of marketing in that one (worse than demons, that lot). Honestly I like your own poster designs better! Interesting to see the alternate film titles as well, hard to say now which of the three is the best. Each has its own vibe. I think if you wanted to emphasis the noir aspect, Full Moon Inc. might be the one (though it might also invite confusion with the film company). That’s my favorite of the poster designs, too.

5 Likes

Demons’ Quad: The College Years

9 Likes

I think they usually make them available in the following day or two. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

That’s the one we came up with and Thomas designed. :slight_smile: We expected it would be changed, but really liked it and figured we’d go with it until it was.

5 Likes

We started with shorts that helped us build a small network of local cast and crew. And then let blind determination take over. Balancing night and weekend shoots with regular day jobs was tough. It’s incredibly stressful, oftentimes disappointing and frustrating, but you just have to make up your mind and go for it. I recommend giving it a shot, if that’s something you’re wanting to do. Start small and take baby steps from there.

9 Likes

That’s funny, because I found I was missing riffs because I was paying too much attention to the movie. I said elsewhere that this one will take a few watches to really absorb everything. How often do we talk more about the movie than the riffs? And there’s some great ones in there. The Mens Warehouse repo men, the Prince riffs (always a fan of those), the Young Frankenstein line, every “rich woman” line by Kelsey.

11 Likes

The distribution folks dropped Full Moon Inc for just that reason - afraid of confusion with Charles Band’s group.

5 Likes

I freaking howled at Puttin’ on the Ritz! That’s one of my all-time favorite movies, and that fit perfectly!

9 Likes

Why no kissing?

8 Likes