Weirdest movie ending

To the tune of “Uptown Girl”. (Later replaced with the actual theme.)

And in the Sepulveda Dam, which is probably up there with Vasquez Rocks and Chatsworth for famous filming locations.

BB was quirky. The '80s/early '90s were kind of the Golden Age of Quirk. Because to be quirky or weird, there has to be a “normal” and the Internet has really compromised the idea of “normal”.

Sometimes a normal ending to a weird film can put the weirdness in perspective and make it seem less weird. Other times it can seem like chickening out.

In The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, the ending is so normal as to be a comic commentary on movies and movie stars. It mostly works.

4 Likes

I mean, that did start as a student film, and I’m pretty sure they’re required to be super weird.

2 Likes

Then there was April Fool’s Day, the slasher-movie-that-wasn’t. All of the deaths were fake, a huge prank. Then, at the end, after the whole thing is revealed and we’re in relax-the-movie’s-almost-over mode, one of them takes out a knife, sneaks up behind one of her friends, and stabs them, they scream–

–and that TOO is fake. It’s a trick knife. The end.

2 Likes

That movie did not work for me, though I might watch it again.

The “Psych” TV show did a Friday the 13th episode where Sean says, “This isn’t Friday the 13th, it’s April Fools Day!”

2 Likes

In the errata about the movie it was told that the Banzai Institute was developing a watermelon that could be air-dropped into areas with famines and other food problems from the airplane to the ground. The rind was being engineered to be so hard you could drop the watermelon from a plane to the ground without damaging the fruit, which people could then use a tool to open up and eat.

5 Likes

Which reminds me… Eraserhead.

3 Likes

Came in here specifically to quote “I’ll tell you later”. Thank you for this. :joy:

Buckaroo Banzai is an absolute gem in that its worldbuilding is simply thrown at you all at once. I can definitely understand it now that I’ve seen it five times, but my first viewing was something truly special.

(Also, “so what, big deal”/the “Team March” through the LA River is one of my favorite endings. It just…works.)

5 Likes

I kind of wish they’d had Lithgow and the Lectroids marching as well so the whole cast could have gotten in on it. I also liked the river march ending. It had a certain comradery to it that went with the whole quirky, indie, tongue-in-cheek attitude. It said, “We know we’re out there and we’re going to be cult classic so we’re just going to enjoy the ride in the Jet Car.”

5 Likes

My absolute favorite Lithgow role, bar none, and that’s not his fault.

Trivia: According to Kyle Sobczak : “In Thomas Pynchon’s novel The Crying of Lot 49 (published in 1964 or thereabouts) much of the narrative takes place in the immediate vicinity of Yoyodyne Systems, a SoCal aerospace & missile manufacturer. This was undoubtedly a conscious reference by the screenwriter (having attended Dartmouth, he must have been exposed to Pynchon’s work)”

3 Likes

While it may be true that it is a conscious reference to Pynchon, I think “having attended Dartmouth, he must have been exposed to Pynchon’s work” is a leap of logic.

By the time BB rolled around, I feel like “Yoyodyne” was like a low-key “Acme”. I can’t back this up (largely due to lack of interest) but I think the “Yoyo” in this short-lived buddy copy show:

Turned out to be short for something like “The Yoyodyne 1000” model of android.

4 Likes

Well, I found that on the internet, so…yeah, probably.

And that’s cool, I hadn’t heard “yoyodyne” before BB, but I’d only been alive for 19 years.

Whenever my brain says “yoyodyne,” it says it in Rawhide’s voice.

2 Likes

Fun fact, Rawhide (Clancy Brown) does the voice for Eugene Krabs in Spongebob Squarepants.

Also fun fact … Yoyodyne and the Banzai Institute are used as shop names on the Promenade of Deep Space Nine…

Check out “Tom Servo’s Used Robots” as well… Several Red Dwarf references to boot.

9 Likes

“Happy Bottom Riding Club?”

1 Like

The Right Stuff.

Pancho’s Happy Bottom Riding Club was the name of the bar at Edwards AFB.

3 Likes

“But for the lonely detonator. . .”

1 Like

Mst3k the movie This Island Earth. Can’t find a copy where people aren’t talking over the credits :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I wrote about THE APPLE in a book about end-of-the-world movies and to have this musical suddenly decide to end with the Rapture after everything else in it was like, “Hey, you know what? Godspeed, movie. You’ve earned it.”

3 Likes

That’d make you the perfect age for “Holmes and Yoyo”. I’m surprised you didn’t catch any of its…13 episodes…

Anytime I can hear something in Clancy Brown’s voice, that’s what I go with.

2 Likes

Nope. I remember BJ and the Bear, does that count?

3 Likes

I mean, I’m sure it counts for something!

1 Like