Well, they weren't always that bad . . .

Howdy there!

I haven’t seen that, but I’ll have to make it a point to set some time aside to check that out. That sounds fun as hell, the guy going through all the franchises like that.

Thanks so much for passing that along my way!

2 Likes

I watched the Cool as Ice Rifftrax the other day, and I was intrigued by the jokes they were making regarding the director of photography, so I looked him up. His name is Janusz Kaminski and, after being the DP on Cool as Ice, he went on to be the DP for movies like Saving Private Ryan, Schindler’s List, and a bunch of other Spielberg pictures including the recent West Side Story and the upcoming movie The Fabelmans.

Seriously, what a resume: Janusz Kaminski - IMDb

5 Likes

My pleasure!

2 Likes

And he has a small but significant role in the 2015 movie he directed, Dancin’: It’s on!, which has recently given a thorough RiffTrax treatment.

3 Likes

I loved the Poe films, and enjoyed The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. And some of his produced films are guilty pleasures, like Battle Beyond the Stars.

6 Likes

John DeLancie, who played the wormy husband, of course goes on to be terrific as Q in various Star Trek episodes.

7 Likes

Oh, that could be one of my awkward celebrity encounters, I guess. I was snooping around the ST:TNG soundstage in the summer of '87 and almost smacked right into him.

6 Likes

I think Jack Frost is surprisingly watchable. It’s nuts, but it’s also kinda interesting.

8 Likes

Agreed, it’s got loads of very weird fairy tale charm.

7 Likes

Yeah, it feels almost educational at that point. It also inspired a lifelong love of Baba Yaga and her chicken house in me.

6 Likes

Those Finno-Russian movies would probably be perfectly fine if you watched them with the original dialogue, and could understand it. Subtitled, even.

7 Likes

I’ve watched The Day the Earth Froze in its restored edition, under its original title, Sampo. I didn’t even need dubbing or subtitles, which is good, because it didn’t have them. It’s actually quite good. And it looks gorgeous.

12 Likes

Ken Curtis. In addition to being the bestus Festus there ever was, Mr. Curtis also had a beautiful singing voice. He could have simply lulled those killer shrews to sleep, allowing every one to escape from the island. Would have been a better movie than what we got.

2 Likes

And he was Digger Smolkin in The Undead!

I like his performances, he did good.

2 Likes

Oh, I almost forgot!

You also had Jonathan Demme, who played a bit part in The Incredible Melting Man and would go on to win Best Director for The Silence of the Lambs.

5 Likes

Carol Connors, who sang “The Book of Love” in Catalina Caper, co-wrote the theme from Rocky. So she was part of an Oscar-nominated team, at least.

Honestly “Book of Love” is competently sung. At least Connors isn’t completely undone by terrible sound. The way that poor Mary Wells was in the opening theme.

8 Likes

Oh, wow, how about that? Best of both worlds!

This was brought up in the dedicated thread for I Accuse My Parents, but story writer Arthur Caesar has an Oscar to his name, too:

4 Likes

Sorry. I had to change my original post because “Evergreen” from A Star Is Born was the actual winner that year. :o

4 Likes

I rather enjoyed it.

6 Likes

Also from that I Accuse My Parents thread:

7 Likes