What were you thinking? Bad Sit-Coms

Oh my

2 Likes

He didn’t just have the misfortune of scoring Daddy-O!

https://www.johnwilliams.org/compositions/television/who-goes-there

Ok, watching the show now.

Edit: The score to Star Wars or Superman this is not.

Edit 2: Of course it gets racist within the first few minutes.

I gave up after, “that heap big magic.” I can’t sit through that crap.

2 Likes

The landlord reminds me of Wattle Man from The Giant Spider Invasion.

2 Likes

There are so many unaired sitcom pilots on YouTube. Get ready for some doozies.

2 Likes

Currently watching:

Sitcom pilot about a big city cop who finds himself transferred to a small town, and partnered with an easy-going Sheriff.

Stars Michael Richards and Dana Carvey. So far in the first few minutes, Michael Richards has been harassing a Latino family with a chainsaw.

Ah, and they introduce a little person with a walk-on because… midget is funny?

Edit: And then he just made his dog jump out of an apartment window. The laugh track told us that was funny.

Also, the theme song is awful.

3 Likes

The writer of this dreck wrote 35 episodes of Bosom Buddies. That explains a lot.

Okay, can’t take the bad jokes, on to the next pilot.

2 Likes

I once made it through an entire episode of Goodnight, Beantown on YouTube. Still waiting on my medal, though.

At least the name helps explain how bad it smelled. [rimshot]

It’s tough to watch actors you actually like get put through that kind of ordeal for a paycheck. :upside_down_face:

There’s a running joke with poor Bill’s pants tearing as he has to break into his own building or something a bunch of times. Plus, a pre-teen girl walks around in a T-Shirt with “COMING ATTRACTIONS” plastered across the chest, but we’re not supposed to treat it as cringe comedy.

[sigh]

2 Likes

Next up… My Son Goggle and/or My Boy Goggle (it was apparently given both names), a backdoor pilot from an anthology series called Vacation Playhouse with Jerry Van Dyke. I really can’t find much more info.

This is nowhere near terrible enough. Moving on.

3 Likes

“Comedy was so great before it got all ‘P.C.’ Wahhhh!!!”

It wasn’t the “not-P.C.” thing that made for good comedy, though. It was having someone around like Mel Brooks or Stan Freberg. Someone who could actually write their way out of a paper bag, y’know…?

[sigh]

7 Likes

Ok, moving on to this Garry Marshall TV series where Bob Denver plays a very smart detective with a stupid, bumbling partner.

It better suck.

Edit: Yes, this definitely sucks. It had a laugh track with a sitcom style at the intro and now it’s like the NBC Mystery Movie. No laugh track.

Edit: Weird, Bob Denver is still the stupid guy despite being super smart.

This show is super weird.

4 Likes

It isn’t?

I think after twenty seconds of the tattling little girl, I was ready for her to be placed on Gamera’s back yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just start the next one and say that.

2 Likes

Uh…

I kinda’ like Bob Denver’s Monkees hair.

Ram chip now?

6 Likes

The US one is quite good. I haven’t seen the British one yet. My friend who I’ve been watching the US one with did not care for the British one at all (which is a complete reversal of her normal tastes as she’s always quite strongly preferred British TV) so I haven’t been particularly enthused to try it. Since you’re saying you like it, maybe I’ll give it a try after all.

2 Likes

You might watch Yonderland first, which is made by the same people and has mostly the same cast. I thought it was funnier.

3 Likes

I DISAGREE!!!

I haven’t seen nor care in the slightest about Ted Lasso but this is the Internet and somebody’s gotta be difficult. ::juts out chin defiantly::

(There’s a reason I haven’t seen it though. It looks really plastic and try-hard, at least in the advertising that’s trickled down to my remote perch well away from mainstream comm channels.)

5 Likes

I’ve watched faaaar more documentaries and retrospectives on odd, forgotten, and/or failed TV than I have actual viable, commercially successful TV itself. It’s generally much more interesting.

5 Likes

Two words:

tax writeoff

5 Likes

The sitcom that asks the question “What if an orangutan was a political adviser?”

1 Like

3 Likes