What's the dumbest argument you ever had?

Some 23+ years ago I had an argument about how to count, with a guy who was certain the new century/millennium began Jan. 1, 2000. I tried to give him a parallel using the dollar, and how your first dollar ends at the 100th penny, and your next dollar begins with the next penny, but he insisted years work differently.

I also had an argument in the fifth grade with a guy who had drawn a frog with a tail.

2 Likes

Years ago during my undergrad several of us, including a guy with a previous degree in rocket science, got into an argument with a lecturer over how rounding numbers worked. He insisted that 1.4 rounds up to 2 because 1.49 would round up to 1.5. I eventually walked away and left the others to it.

3 Likes

Years do work differently, seeing as how there is no year 0. But that actually supports you, not him.

2 Likes

Anything about politics

1 Like

Oh, I have the same policy. Unfortunately, they don’t. I have any number of ways to get across that I won’t argue, including flat-out telling them I won’t argue, it doesn’t always work.

With that said, I have far, FAR more positive encounters than negative. I’ve had many people tell me they didn’t really understand evolution before and now they have a better grasp of the concept. That’s why I still do this. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That was my point. There’s also no penny 0 in a dollar.

1 Like

I had a variation of this argument with my main customer every 5 years starting in 2004. They have a yearly event which started in 1994, so in 2004 they were excited to announce the “10th Annual” series. Nope, 11th. “15th Annual” in 2009. Still no. “20th Year!” in 2014. Here, let me draw a diagram for you.

Since they had to skip a season for COVID I’m thinking it won’t come up again. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Star Wars vs Star Trek.

Not really kidding.

Watch what you love, avoid what you don’t. No need to whack each other over the head about it. Let people enjoy their things!

3 Likes

Especially since everyone knows Buck Rogers is the best.

Pretty sure there’s a story about Pythagoras saying fava beans will kill you by farting away your lifesbreath.

2 Likes

Such a silly argument to have.

Stargate is the clear winner. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But you can start with zero pennies. You don’t start with zero year.

(Oh crap, have I started a dumb argument?)

1 Like

Chickpeas and lentils are absolutely beans. Favas (native to Eurasia) are also beans. Plenty of South Asian varieties (moong, urad, etc.) are also beans. Whoever said otherwise is simply mistaken.

2 Likes

Since you’re counting from an event that was miscalculated in the first place, what the hell is even there to argue about?

4 Likes

I was curious how long it would take for an actual argument to develop in this thread. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter what calendar you use, there’s never a year zero. And I personally have never counted anything by starting with zero. And if I have zero of something (like gumption at this moment) I don’t count it.

1 Like

This is a philosophical discussion.

3 Likes

You were not.

1 Like

I was too!

1 Like
4 Likes