What thing(s) did you believe were true as a kid, when you had limited knowledge?

I was thinking about this today.

The one that comes to mind is when I saw that Garfield was voiced by Lorenzo Music.

In my mind Music meant ‘music.’ So “logically,” the shows creators took “Lorenzo music,” a form of music I had never heard of, and somehow altered it into Garfield’s voice.

…anyone else out there have any thoughts as crazy as this?

9 Likes

From watching cartoon chase scenes, I thought dogs ate cats. I knew cats ate mice, so they chase them. Logically, dogs chase cats to eat them, right?

12 Likes

I believed that the planet was littered with stray blasting caps because there were PSAs every Saturday morning telling us so. We never found any.

9 Likes

My Grandfather told me when I was very young that what I see on the moon is a reflection of the earth. Never thought to question him or look into that further in my school science astronomy class.

Wasn’t till I was in my early 20’s where I was having some kind of moon discussion with a friend, where I brought this up and was mocked mercilessly for it.

Apparently that had been a “Grandpa’s drunk again” story that I had been too young to filter out.

8 Likes

I knew fiction was fiction but I thought all stories were extrapolated from someone’s actual experience. So while this wasn’t why I was scared of Large Marge, it was certainly why I was as scared as I was of Large Marge.

Oh, also, I thought Buster Poindexter was a real person. I think because he’d be interviewed on talk shows and things of that nature. Yet I somehow understood Grodin was doing a bit any time he was on Letterman. The mind is a mysterious labyrinth.

10 Likes

I thought you had to stop breathing when you go to sleep.

3 Likes

3 year old me believed Ric Ocasek walked on water and waves really did splash on a crowd at a Duran Duran concert.

5 Likes

When I was very young, I thought that All in the Family was a distant sequel to Archie Comics.

1 Like

OR…

Let’s see now…Mice don’t like cheese.
And mice want cat to eat them.
Now then…cat don’t wanna eat mice.
But cat wants dog to massacre him

dontaddup

4 Likes

Thanks to “Officer Friendly,” I believed that I shouldn’t touch any colorful pieces of paper I saw lying around in public because they were probably drugs.

3 Likes

As a wee tyke, I thought that you reached a certain age and you suddenly possessed wisdom, that all adults had things figured out.

3 Likes

At some point I believed dogs and cats were the male and female of the same species.

7 Likes

Also, PSAs making it very clear that, should I find myself, for some unexplained reason, actually on fire, I must “stop, drop, and roll”. Any other action would lead to certain death.

7 Likes

I for some reason thought the world was a cube (I knew it wasn’t flat!) and I assumed any time we turned a corner or went over a hill we were going around one of the corners of the world.

6 Likes

One of our two local children’s hosts in the 80s was ‘Cowboy Bob’ who taught his dog to stop, drop and roll for the local PSAs he did. I admit, they were pretty hard to forget with a dog doing it.

3 Likes

Not me, but due to my parents using cutesy words when we were small, my sister was 14 when she found out the big grey animal with the facial horn is not called a “rhinerocerous”

Her friends didn’t let her live it down for weeks

5 Likes

Reminds me of my daughter, who says “grage” no matter how many times we tell her it’s not pronounced that way.

3 Likes

I thought that a plant seed like from canteloupe or watermelon could really sprout in your stomach and bloom out various orifices if you accidentally swallowed it without chewing. :grimacing:

5 Likes

Now you’ve got me trying to remember Cowboy Bob’s dog’s name. Was it Biscuit?

1 Like

No, that one is totally true!

2 Likes