What's the worst TV reboot you've ever seen?

“Spinoff” is what they called its ilk back then, though I’d argue that ABC was trying to reboot some of that sweet sweet nerd cash.

4 Likes

Oh, what about the American version of “Being Human”? Dreadful.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t mind it. It wasn’t the same show, it went its own way with the same premise and didn’t try remaking the original.

1 Like

I was too, but now that it’s at least been confirmed that it’s PG… I’m a feeling a bit better…

1 Like

Apparently there was recently an attempt at a Highway to Heaven Reboot…

I haven’t seen it, but given that it was only a pilot, and repackaged as a DVD I’m guessing it’s not very good…

(Has anyone actually seen it?)

2 Likes

Battlestar Galactica 1980! ABC seriously screwed up canceling the original from 1978-79 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

The reboot of The Outer Limits and both reboots of The Twilight Zone are okay, but don’t have the same magic as the originals. Didn’t bother with the reboot of The Invaders, but guessing it was nothing special. Honestly, it’s probably quicker to make a list of reboots which are as good as (or better than) the originals.

3 Likes

Yo! Mockingbird Lane was great! I hate there’s no means of easily acquiring it. I kept it on my DVR for so long. Really bummed it didn’t go to series.

2 Likes

It’s not out yet, and it’s not necessarily a TV reboot since it’s a film, but it’s a Disney+ film so it could lead to a series. But the Rescue Rangers film looks absolutely godawful. Playing it as the characters being actors who were in a show back in the 90s that fizzled out and they’re trying to reboot it? Just…why? Like, that notion MIGHT work for something like Bonkers or Roger Rabbit (who literally is shown in the trailer; I could give you an easy title: “Who Rebooted Roger Rabbit”), but Rescue Rangers should be played straight. Hell, do the logical thing and tie them into The Rescuers & Basil of Baker Street/The Great Mouse Detective! How is it that hard?!

1 Like

Wait, the 1995-2001 Outer Limits reboot?

It had some good episodes?

3 Likes

It seems like they’re going for a mystery angle at least. It does kinda feel like doing a stealth Roger Rabbit. Hopefully it’s just a case of an iffy trailer and the Lonely Island crew can pull it together.

1 Like

That’s what really makes me not like this: they’re leaning into the celebrity voices and not altering them like they have in the past. At least Huey, Dewey, and Louie got some alteration in the DuckTales reboot, but here they REALLY want you to know it’s John Mulaney and Adam Sandberg doing the voices. And yeah, that trailer was absolute cringe, especially during that Seth Rogen dwarf ending segment.

1 Like

A few, but most are forgettable. But the series wasn’t a complete affront to the original like some of the others on this list.

2 Likes

To be fair, while there are some brilliant episodes in the original, there are plenty of forgettable ones there too.

4 Likes

Yes, the original Outer Limits is rather patchy in terms of quality and consistency. In its defense it had fewer other shows to compare itself to, so it was breaking more ground. By the 90s the genre was established enough that it’s fair to judge more harshly.

3 Likes

Both reboots? We’re currently on our third reboot.

Original: 1959-1964
First reboot: 1985-1989
Second reboot: 2002-2003
Third reboot: 2019-2020

4 Likes

I thought the '80s TZ was pretty good (a few episodes were exceptional), 2002 terrible, haven’t seen the new one.

2 Likes

I mercifully seem to have missed this one.

Agreed, there were some pips in that iteration.

1 Like

The new one was so-so. It wasn’t awful but nothing made it stand out.

3 Likes

That’s a good summation. I watched it more out of duty than of pleasure. While some of the touches added by Peele made it stylistically appealing, the stories never really gripped me.

1 Like