Who's your favorite Vampire?

Count Orlok. I like that he looks dead when he’s not moving. Genuinely feels like a dead body piloted by a malevolent force.

2 Likes

Ah, the world’s most tanned vampire! I vaguely remember watching that many years ago and getting a kick out of the casting.

I love all the Discworld vampires, especially Otto and Arthur. The whole black ribboner thing gave Pterry an interesting way of using classic movie vampires without always making them a villain.

Has anyone mentioned Jerry Dandridge from Fright Night yet? Chris Sarandon played him so well, with the occasional hint that there might be something more complex in his character. You’re never quite sure if he’s just doing that to toy with people. Plus he and Roddy have got some great lines. If we see a spooky looking building, my wife and I will often say “yes, I see what you mean.”

2 Likes

8 Likes

Yay! Someone else remembers Count Duckula!

Also, my knee jerk reaction was Count von Count, so I’m glad you have him listed.

3 Likes

This is a picture of Guillermo as a vampire that I like a lot.

But the best vampire is clearly the OG:

…the OV?

6 Likes

marceline

Oh, you KNOW we gotta throw down a funky bass groove for Marceline the Vampire Queen.

6 Likes

That time Wolverine became a vampire…

I am.

9 Likes

I don’t suppose you made to the mass gathering of Draculas in Whitby last week? Surely that would have counted as a business expense?

"You ruined my new jacket! Kill him A LOT! "

8 Likes

Nick Knight, homicide detective. (“Taking a bite out of crime, forever!”)

Janette and LaCroix too, of course

And of course, another vampire detective, P. N. Elrod’s Jack Flemming

Which of course leads to Jonathan Barrette, Gentleman Vampire

Cheers to the original Dracula novel, too, which was the high-tech thriller of its day, and to the already-covered Buffy the Vampire Slayer (both versions), Near Dark, and The Lost Boys! My mom’s fave is and always will be the original Barnabus Collins, who we still have VHS tapes of kicking around somewhere.

5 Likes

I don’t gather.

1 Like

Ooh, I was having a hard time picking, but this is the obvious choice.

1 Like

Not really about the vampires. But I guess whichever one was drawn by Gene Colan would be aces with me. <3

1 Like

Likewise about growing up with Barnabas. I really only got to see DS during the summer months because school interfered with my daytime TV viewing. By maybe the third summer, with the various timelines on the show and with the same actors playing different characters in different eras, I kinda lost track of the storyline, but Barnabas Collins was always a compelling character and I would watch mostly just for his scenes.

I had a second cousin who had that board game. We played together a lot since we lived on the same street as kids, but I don’t recall us playing that game a lot. And yes, the winner got to wear a set of glow in the dark fangs – the same set of fangs which went from one unsanitary, slobbery kid’s mouth to the next!

One vampire I haven’t seen mentioned yet is Blacula. William Marshall gives a fantastic performance as Prince Mamuwalde, aka the title role, in both movies. (I never saw the movies until maybe 20 years ago and was surprised to learn the King of Cartoons had once been Blacula!) Scream, Blacula, Scream is available in full on Youtube and is highly recommended.

2 Likes

You’ve seen a Blacula mentioned.

5 Likes

@duaneiac is absolutely right, though. If you haven’t seen the Blacula movies, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

3 Likes

Wait, there are sequels to the original?

Another vote in support of Blacula. I had fairly low expectations when I sat down to watch it and was pleasantly surprised. William Marshall gave a performance well beyond the film’s budget. Oh, and the second one has Pam Grier in it.

You know what, I know what I’m watching tonight!

3 Likes

Honestly, it’s a really good vampire movie despite the campy name.

2 Likes