Why Isn't "Gypsy" in the "Favorite Bot" list?

“Enforce”? It’s a concern. And a justfiable one. “It doesn’t hurt you in any way or form”? That’s your opinion Katherine and you’re entitled to it but it doesn’t make it so. Read my comments to Lesley above to realize some of us do feel something. Thanks!

To clarify. I’m not saying it is the end of the world. “Harbinger of Doom” are your words not mine. I do believe it is a problem and “freedom” and choice are impacted by it. Don’t mistake my passion for anything more. Agreed on Gypsy remaining on past episodes, this ensures the personality as she was lives on. I’m grateful for that. And GPC isn’t the end of everything but it doesn’t mean myself or others found it necessary. Life moves on and Cheers my friend.

1 Like

For me, personally, I draw the line with regards to where I stand. “Cheesehead” is used derogatively by all the other NFC North fan bases. But this is a term Packers fans apply to themselves, yours truly included.

If I’m not part of the group claiming ownership of a term, I try my darndest not to use the pejorative. Easy peasy. There’s enough :poop: in this world. Why make it worse for someone? I follow the Silver Rule as much as possible.

3 Likes

Why concern yourself with what might be true but might not and act as though it’s so? Life isn’t always Black and White so why are we acting as if a concern is full blooded reality when it might not? I applaud you Wyswysia on having your line in the sand much as I have mine. Thanks for talking.

I’d like to be remembered some day for my sarcastic wit, correct grammar usage, and killer organization skills, not for the myriad times I was a dickweed (no implication meant your way), so I try not to be. Just don’t cut me off in traffic - I will then enumerate the reasons why you should be shot into deep space. :grin:

2 Likes

Speaking of “ruminating”…

Anything which gains traction across the days and months builds a relationship with an audience. Amplify that by 30 years as something and people accept something as something. Folks embrace a notion into their lives as is and it gains a certain fidelity and comfort that is reassuring like warm milk.

People hold that bond with James Bond, Harry Potter, Data, Dr. Who, Columbo, or any idea fans gravitate towards and this deepens reaching an institution eventually. The example of Tom’s early name is an inadequate comparison to an adored persona sustained for 30 years. The time and the length of exposure is much of it and can’t be ignored.

GPC is Gypsy and her story will go on and I look forward it. Yet every utterance of “GPC” in the future reminds me of who she was and to me she is always Gypsy. Joel and Jim Mallon did their job too well. Her past is who she is including her name and any deviation to bow to the times today only harkens back even more her whole history to those who truly cared about the character.

GPC fails to have the same ring to it and is more impersonal and a reaction to a controversy than a pure creative thought. It’s a compromise and for now it feels like it. Again given the length we existed with her as she was.

Over a stretch, I’ll learn to see how this newly named but otherwise the same personality fares and probably I’ll like it. That said, in my mind she will forever be Gypsy in addition to whatever else she’s repurposed to be. I can live with that and I write this now to explain for me it is affection to one of Joel’s creations that drives this and nothing else. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks Wyswysia. I respect that. I too attempt not to make waves. Unfortunately my passion on particular topics forces to me to express my beliefs and that ripples onto others more than I ever intend to.

Maybe I’m misreading this, but I’d say that her character is more than her name and those who think this change is a good thing needn’t be people who don’t care about her character. Changing her name is caring about the character’s future and it’s ensuring that people are able to tune in without hearing a word that, to them, has been used in anger to demean them by people. I don’t think there’s been any talk of editing her name from previous episodes, but any future utterance of it in new material created by Alternaversal would, I imagine, use her updated name in order to a) do what they believe is right and b) signal to others that they know that her previous name might have made people feel uncomfortable and they won’t do it again. It’s as graceful a change as they could have made, honestly.

I’m sure Joel cares about the characters he’d created too. He came back to ensure they had a future. But he’s also the person who 100% had to sign off on the change and he did. MST3k is about having fun with cheesy movies and this simple change helps them keep the focus on that for everyone and not anything else. Recognize Joel’s decision over your fondness for her former name. She wasn’t named with ill intent for sure, but that’s also why a change was made, to avoid hurting folks who would be hurt by having something hurtful in what is, in its best times, a playful comedy show.

No one is perfect. They’ve messed up before and they will again. But they do try. And that matters because when they find out they did, they’ll examine the situation and re-evaluate their choices in order to do what’s right. I don’t find that my trust in their humanity has ever been misplaced.

4 Likes

Joe. Her name is how she was sold. We heard it a million times. “This is Gypsy…” “Hello Gypsy…” “Where’s Gypsy?” For 200 plus episodes. Her name wasn’t the only thing however it’s how she was presented and how we fell in love with her. Once we are introduced to someone and become familiar they are their name and all else we learn about them.

A misunderstanding? Maybe. Her name is etched in there next to her fondness of Richard Baseheart, her loyalty to the host and the bots, and her genuine warm nature. She is the sum of those traits and more than just a name. What I’m saying to me is her name is a lasting piece of that overall puzzle and attachment to her as established isn’t so hard to grasp if you appreciate the name added to what she was. No different than Tom Servo and Crow embody their names as Gypsy does. The symmetry of name to namesake pops and plays perfectly with all three.

“Changing her name is caring about the character’s future…”

That’s your read. With respect. Is it “caring” or capitulation to present fashions? What you term"caring", I sense is a surrender to modern times and prevailing expectations and caring. Joel wants to please so that’s certainly a factor.

“It’s ensuring that people are able to tune in without hearing a word that, to them, has been used in anger to demean them by people.”

Define them. Have there been marches in the street? Official legal complaints? They themselves complaining? Or third parties upset on their behalf? If it’s the latter than who’s really benefiting by this?

“Any utterance of it in new material created by Alternaversal would, I imagine, use her updated name in order to a) do what they believe is right and b) signal to others that they know that their previous name might have made people feel uncomfortable and they won’t do it again. It’s as graceful a change as they could have made, honesty.”

Maybe so. Joel exudes class and this is him quietly stepping up to the plate. It’s as reserved and dignified a move as you’re apt to experience. He’s not one to talk as he is to act. This fits his style. I’m glad G survives albeit renamed and better that than a whole new creation.

“I’m sure Joel cares about the characters he’d created too.”

Of course he does. Above any one of us. Sufficiently so that I regret expressing any opinion on this matter whatsoever. He carries this inside and there’s probably a touch of sadness there to match my own. He is their father and any beef against them is a reflection on him whether deserved or not. He selflessly renamed his child to please someone else. I applaud that even if I have doubts myself.

“He came back to ensure they had a future.”

Indeed. Along with the show. He pulled a miracle by not only rescuing the program twice via crowdfunding but also re-establishing the tone of MST peerlessly including modern wrinkles as well. It’s a labor of love to him.

“Recognize Joel’s decision over your fondness for her former name.”

I already have. My comments are a mirror of my conflicted feelings on what happened. The outlook of MST is bright and I stand by every other decision Joel has made. In Kickstarter Comments I have been one of his staunchest defenders in 2015 to now. He’s a father figure and I care for him as I would kin. Just because I disagree doesn’t mean I don’t understand.

“She wasn’t named with ill intent for sure.”

Agreed.

“No one is perfect.”

No one.

“They do try.”

I know. If anyone understands this, I do.

P.S. Joe. We each treasure this property and savor virtually EVERYTHING. I was not implying you have any less feeling towards Gypsy than I do more explaining to others above that love for Gypsy is how to understand my argument. My compliments on your observations and consideration. Huzzah.

1 Like

Bruce, I saw your post, but I’m out of energy to explain my position more at the moment. I certainly don’t have the energy to argue further. As I have stated in another topic, I don’t think this forum is the proper place to try to “win” an argument, so I am just going to withdraw from the discussion. I didn’t want you to think I was ignoring your comments. I will keep reading what you write, but I probably won’t be responding. Please don’t take my silence as rudeness. I bear no ill will toward you.

5 Likes

Thank you! She’ll always be Gypsy to me.
Mask GIF

2 Likes

EBK,

I’m actually relieved not to have dig deeper into this. I too am not the Energizer Bunny. I would if I had to as evidenced here and elsewhere but I hate having to explain, re-explain, and explain again indefinitely my position. It’s necessary since no one is psychic and I do my best to bridge the divide we have in how we fall down on the matter.

I too bear no ill will to you. Never have. Never will. It’s not in my nature. Props on sending this instead. Your kindness is most appreciated.

Bruce

P.S. To how I reply, were someone so seemingly off in interpreting my position I’m forced to state my true thoughts as a rebuttal than I will. I’m hoping enough has been said I won’t have to. Again Cheers!

Wow! Planet of the Cheese. LOL!

I really don’t see the renaming as a big deal at all. Obviously Joel and Co. didn’t mean anything negative by the name originally, but once it was brought to their attention that it was unintentionally in poor taste, they changed it. I guess I kind of get being mildly perturbed that something from your childhood changed its name, but if your sister gets married and chooses to change her last name, that doesn’t change who she is and how you feel about her, so why is it such a big deal that a puppet from your favorite TV show changed its name? IMO it’s just not something that deserves feeling any amount of mental anguish about.

And with that I’ll probably bow out of this thread, not looking to invest time out of my life arguing about puppet names, ha.

6 Likes

Fair enough my friend. Thanks for chiming in.

1 Like

My only issue with the “they changed it once it was brought to their attention” argument is that it was brought to their attention either during the 2015 Kickstarter at the earliest, or right before the season 11 premiere at the latest, so I feel like the name could’ve been changed a little earlier if it actually bothered Joel so much.

2 Likes

Likely the pressure built over a period of years. Like anything, Joel is one guy running a Kickstarter and overseeing a sea of moving pieces. He likely saw it then spotted something else and so on. Then later on the issue resurfaced and he remembered and acted. Best guess. If it didn’t trouble Joel at all, her name would still be Gypsy.

Tell me you missed the point of Blazing Saddles without telling me you missed the point of Blazing Saddles.

5 Likes

I didn’t miss anything BooDooBoo. Let’s just drop it. I personally have no issue with Blazing Saddles (1974). It’s a classic. I used it to make a point about another person’s argument. He attempted to say indifference on Gypsy is damning once you know it harms someone and I played devil’s advocate on Blazing Saddles. That’s all.

The debate had been going on for a long time. But it took awhile for it to reach critical volume, I guess. I’m pretty sure I heard occasional mention of her name being an issue for some when the show was still in its Comedy Central days.

1 Like