107. Robot Monster (1953)

In a way, I look on this film as somewhat of a twisted Wizard of Oz given how it tries to justify its main story (and in some instances, makes Johnny out to be a very, very disturbed little boy who may have some issues with his sisters).

Still, I at least got to walk through Ro Man’s cave before they closed it up during the pandemic.

2 Likes

Just finished watching this one. It is one that always sits in the back of the mind as a great episode, which it is.

The one thing that really bugs me about this episode, though, is that Joel’s invention was the Cumber-bubble-bund, and when Ro-Man’s weaponry involved a bubble machine they made absosmurfly no mention of the cumber-bubble-bund.

3 Likes

They didn’t think of it? It is Season 1. And how regularly have they mentioned an invention afterwards? Usually it’s right after if they do. As they’re sitting down or watching the opening credits. Seldom is it during the movie.

2 Likes

I’m sad to hear they closed Bronson Caverns / Canyon during the pandemic. Has the site been reopened?

That cave is in so many movies, I feel like it’s part of our collective, er, psychogeography. There ought to be a bubble machine installed by the entrance on a special Ro-Man Holiday every year.

4 Likes

They did? It’s one of the less-populated parts of Griffith Park, or at least it was when I went there. It always felt like a cool little lesser-known area, like the old zoo.

3 Likes

Pic from my journey to see a Village of the Giants film location nearby, in February 2020:

7 Likes

Who else constantly wants to call the little boy Kenny based on how damn annoying he is? Also, it’s best not to think too hard about the fact that he fantasized about his own sister being murdered by a space monster. Okay siblings do that every day at that age, but maybe don’t commit it to film…? :thinking:

I’ll always award this episode extra points for the “It’s Surreal!” sketch.

4 Likes

Well, dreamed of one sister being murdered, and the other being…well…let’s just say I think he’s reading too many comic books.

2 Likes

3-D Film Archive will be screening their restoration of Robot Monster in New York on June 24th, for those who might like to go see this on the big screen.

5 Likes

Out of the season 1 episodes I feel this is actually a pretty decent effort.

The rambling, surreal eulogies Joel and the Bots compose for Ro-Man were the chef’s kiss.

Certainly not a film that hasn’t been done better, but I am fond of this one.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a 3D version of Robot Monster. There’s absolutely no reason to see it in 3D. You might as well watch a wall in 3D. Also, all the stock footage like the wrestling “dinosaurs” is not in 3D and it’s jarring when it’s suddenly 2D.

3 Likes

I agree. 3D is wasted on this one, but I thought I’d post it for those who disagree with me. Even the 3D parts are staged in a 2-dimensional way.

(I own over 100 3D movies and shorts, so I know what I’m talking about. I think.)

3 Likes

I backed this Kickstarter Restoration and the finished product is ready to be shipped. I’m excited to get my hands on it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dfilmarchive/pre-order-robot-monster-on-3-d-blu-ray-and-dvd/posts/3827626

6 Likes

The 3D isn’t worth it.

I got that update yesterday too. I’m eager to crack this baby open.

1 Like

The restoration IS. You can watch it in 2D. That is an option.

2 Likes

So if Ro-Man had that 3-D mask on his side, would he have conquered the Earth that much sooner? :thinking:

3 Likes

No, but the 3D would have been better.

3 Likes

I think Ro-Man should host his own show. Cooking or fishing, maybe, or yoga.

6 Likes

To do the downward dog… to stretch… pose…

4 Likes