1111. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II (1989)

i love this one so much from the netflix era.

“I’ll skoo-er ya! I’ll skoo-er ya all!” is my favorite riff.

2 Likes

On a loosely related note, Fred Ward just died.

Fred Ward Dead: ‘The Right Stuff,’ ‘Tremors’ Star Was 79 - Variety

2 Likes

Wizards I is good, but I like this one even better. Might have been a mistake to place them right next to each other instead of letting them bookend something that’s awful in a very different way, like Avalanche. Oh, well. :person_shrugging:

As before, they get a bit flummoxed by the amount of padding. However, when the action scenes are trying to be action-y (but are mostly incoherent) they really come through. :+1: Like @MattBlack , I don’t think the Crummy Wizard sketch lives up to its potential. But at least it goes by fast.

2 Likes

See, I thought that sketch felt like ETERNITY.

2 Likes

lol. Well, I’m probably the only person who hates the Bobo-makes-a-sandwich sketch, or that thing in The Screaming Skull where Mike keeps clobbering Crow. In fact, I think I had a bad dream about it once, which is more than I can say about any of the nonsense in the actual movie. We can’t all be same.

2 Likes

You clearly weren’t paying attention to all those old shorts. Conform, conform!

3 Likes

[raspberry] And I still think that the title character in The Snob was right about everything, too. Nyah!!

2 Likes

And Mike’s perpetual trip in Final Justice (1985)?

2 Likes

No, that can stay. Pearl’s outburst is the perfect capper.

1 Like

No, you’re not the only one. When it first aired back in the '90s, I just sat there and stared at the screen wondering what the hell they thought they were doing.

I hate it a little bit less now, but only a little.

2 Likes

Yeah, some of the Season 8 sketches go on way too long, because sometimes they used shorter movies (like the Corman pictures) but didn’t pair it up with a short film or two, so they had to pad things out. I’m specifically thinking of that time Tom Servo was being tested by the Observers.

4 Likes

Although not a favorite of mine this is still a solid episode from season 11. Reminds me (a little) of Deathstalker, and that’s always a good thing!

4 Likes

It’s Just A Show 32. [MST3K 1111. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II]

1 Like

Sequels have a reputation for paling in comparison to the original. While a sequel in name only, the stigma certainly applies to this movie. First off there’s the plot, which comes across as something procured from a particularly hacky console RPG. Our lead characters are whiny snot-nosed punk Tyor and his bumbling magic teacher Caedmon. They are not what you would call appealing and, as noted in the riffing, they make you long for Simon and Kor.

The sleaze factor has also been jacked up. As well as Lana Clarkson reprising her title character role from the sexually graphic Barbarian Queen movies (footage from which gets reused here with typical Corman thrift), we also get to see Tyor (whose actor was fifteen at the time) get propositioned by a leather-clad dominatrix named after a literal Norse sex goddess. To cap it off, the costume David Carradine wears is quite unflattering for him. I suppose we should be thankful that there was never a third installment in the series.

As for the host segments, this time around it’s the inventions that really stand out. The Punt Bunnies are the first thing Kinga has come up with that possesses a genuinely malicious vibe, in the same league as the Hard Pills to Swallow, the Tragic Moments Figurines, the Unhappy Meals, and the Tough Love Seat. The GIF Notes recall for me a column I read several years back (when smartphones were non-existent) about a project where downloadable notes on Shakespeare would be written in texting shorthand. The columnist was not impressed, and his writing had a, “Dear Gawd, have we really sunk this low?” tone to it. Never followed how it turned out, though the current generation of phones have probably made it obsolete.

1 Like

I’ll have to watch this one again. All I remember is “hells bells, it’s Mel Welles”, “skoo-er”, David and Lana, and my name appearing in the “backer thanks” portion of the credits.

2 Likes

The best performance in this movie is by Cavemon’s candle snuffer in the first scene.