1302. Robot Wars - Your Thoughts?

Yeah me too. And I still miss Deep 13, it felt homey.

7 Likes

When do we think we should expect the standalone, non-livestream version of Robot Wars?

2 Likes

Hm… I guess in a week or 2?

2 Likes

We’re still waiting on Santo aren’t we, so I’d say add maybe a month from that coming out?

2 Likes

My guess is that the final versions of those eps will launch with or after the official launch of the Gizmoplex in May.

I am curious about the post-beta live events… are they going to re-premiere those episodes with all the edits locked in and a new live event for non-backers? Will non-backing season ticket holders get access to those early preview episode events? :thinking:

3 Likes

Santo and Robot Wars were “trial” premieres for us backers. So they will air again (S13E01 & S13E02) in May when it’s open to the public =)

2 Likes

So they’ll have a new live events with new streamy/host segment deals? Fun!

2 Likes

Do you think Kinga was poorly lit, or is it just me wanting more Felicia Day? Yeah, it’s probably just me.

5 Likes

Something is still off on the greenscreen, definitely. Dunno if it was an on-set lighting problem or more tweaking of the levels/colorspaces/etc is needed during post… but it’s something. A big tell is the blacks - on both the Mads and Jonah what should be deep black shadows are grey.

5 Likes

So glad you enjoyed it like you did! Yeah, I loved this episode, too. Santo in the Treasure of Dracula was excellent, but I had more fun with Robot Wars, I think. That more deliberate riff pace helped both episodes, for sure.

Also, welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

I loved Santo but this one was a bit average to me although I really enjoyed the host segments. Sometimes the movement on the movie was a bit strobed (unless that’s my internet connection!).
I can’t watch these events live as they take place in the early hours of the morning here so please keep making them available as a catch up in the Gizmoplex.

2 Likes

I want to say that I really appreciated the deep cut Short Circuit 2 reference made during the end robot fight.

5 Likes

Welcome to my world.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and the movie was plain bad. That’s what it’s all about, right? Great job MST3K!

7 Likes

The standalone versions of Robot Wars and the Pipeline to the Clouds short are available now! Sweet!

7 Likes

And a version 2 screener of Santo.

6 Likes

Yes, I know riffing of the credits isn’t new but it also doesn’t happen every episode.

1 Like

How is the Audio Sync?

1 Like

I’m on the same page as you - the blacks are telling, and the contrast in general - the lighting of the background is so bright and vivid, but the mads are lit more darkly. Compare the brightest part of the mads to the brighter parts of the background. I also get the feeling that they aren’t as sharp as the backgrounds, which hurts, it’s as though they’re either slightly out of focus, or shot in a lower resolution. Reminds me of old FMV PC games.
Not sure how much of that can be fixed in post, unfortunately.

3 Likes

The audio and pacing of the riffs/segments were a definite improvement, less issues than with Santo. Good effort.

Robot Wars is just a crummy movie and not in a fun way but you can’t win them all.

1 Like