201. Rocketship X-M (1950)

I didn’t know anyone was anymore.

3 Likes

Growing up in El Paso it was always a thrill to see White Sands shown here and in The Lost Continent.

4 Likes

Pay for the ad-free (mostly) radio and stay for the free Pandora and Stitcher Premium subscriptions.

3 Likes

An absolute stone cold classic ep.

4 Likes

And a good friend.
201, 202 and 203: the three most important episodes of the entire series. More call backs to these than any. The foundation.
chili peppers, hamburger sanwich

6 Likes

Movie That’s So Groovy With Alex - Rocketship X M.

1 Like

“Comic relief…”

“I never liked him.”

1 Like

“At this point the rocket becomes engorged with astronauts.”

“Uhh can I catch a ride to the rocket I’m only going to the Gantry.” “Gantry? This car don’t go anywhere near Gantry. You boys is lost.”

Bridges set a high standard early on for Most Punchable Hero In A Crappy Film. No wonder the subsequent competition was so fierce.

4 Likes

His face is one for the ages. Perhaps it should be on currency.

2 Likes

It’s the personality, not the face. I wonder what it was like for women actually in the sciences to watch how their counterparts were treated in this endless parade of turkeys. :confused:

6 Likes

50s machismo and he had it in spades. He could pour it on. The unending smile, the chin. The camera loved him. His sons inherited the knack. Especially Jeff but less annoying.

3 Likes

When I suggested we do this for the very first episode of It’s Just A Show, I didn’t realize that it was one of the episodes they never got the rights to put on DVD. I kind of assumed everyone loved this episode as much as I did. Turns out, most fans have never seen it. Oops!

(It still feels like a natural place to start, the episode where MST3K first really feels like itself. They’d keep growing, and some episodes in Season 1 feel more or less just as close. But switching Servo made it feel like the last piece was in place, and for those of us who grew up watching the show during this era, well, after they stopped showing Season 1 episodes, they just felt less canonical?)

Anyway. This episode is a good friend.

8 Likes

I’m rewatching this one. It is a good episode, but, wow, there is a ton of “you’re just a woman” dialog in this film!

5 Likes

Yeah, as cringy 1950s sci-fi goes… oof. It’s cringey.

Fun episode, though. One of my big notes for this episode was “HOLY HELL, KEVIN MURPHY IS COMING OUT SWINGIN’ WITH THE ENERGY!”

I also love love love the dark humor in this one, particularly towards the end. “Uh, there’s a Mister Oh My God My Hair Is On Fire on line one, sir” is a god-tier riff.

4 Likes