208. Lost Continent (1951)

Well, 4 out of 5 Atlanteans say “blub blub gubble blub.”

(Alt: 4 out of 5 R’lyeheans say “Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn”)

And, no, Discourse, there isn’t anyone I’d rather hear from than me.

6 Likes

Can’t we just get Beyond Atlantis?

5 Likes

Can’t we just get Beyond Lost Continent? :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

“‘Lost Continent’? I lost my keys once, but that’s ridiculous!”

7 Likes

I have a bad habit of leaving them on the bus, or in the garage but forgetting to lock it up. :frowning:

4 Likes

The island chick features pretty prominently in a poster for a movie where she’s got about 2 minutes of screen time.

4 Likes

She skipped town early because of all the manly secondhand smoke. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, but Acquanetta was a bit of a B-movie star in her day. Seeing her name/image in the poster and trailer for the movie might have sold a few extra tickets. Those patrons wouldn’t find out how little she does in the film until after they spent their money.

5 Likes

Her real name was Mildrid Davenport, so it’s understandable that she decided to use a stage name.

4 Likes

“Rocket 180,000 years into the unknown!”

Did someone involved in this slog think dinosaurs were alive 180,000 years ago?

5 Likes

Hey, there’s only so many 0s you can fit on the poster.

4 Likes

I was watching this episode this evening, and I kept trying to figure out where I knew the German rocket scientist from. I looked it up and it turns out he’s John Hoyt, aka Varno from Time Travelers.

Poor guy had to put up with Danny and Sid Melton.

5 Likes

He was also the original doctor on the Enterprise in the first Star Trek pilot, The Cage, with Captain Pike.

4 Likes

A couple years before this Hoyt was a really cool little prison film noir called Brute Force. It also starred Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn (as a sadistic prison guard), and Hoyt’s Lost Continent castmate Whit Bissell!

3 Likes

My dad told me that in the 70’s and 80’s she appeared (as “Hollywood starlet Aquanetta!”) with her then husband on local TV in a series of used car commercials in Phoenix, Arizona. Dad told me she always seemed to be wearing a couple pounds of makeup and that it was really bizarre.

5 Likes

Once again back to Lost…Continent. As my first MST3K, it still holds a special place for me. While not everybody’s favorite, it does have some real bangers for jokes.
The Rock Climbing :tm: obviously.
“I never wanted to die on a plane, but now I’m very excited about it.”
And special guest alien, Michael J Nelson as Cryptodad.

But one thing I never noticed before was Joel’s invention grabbing itself. It’s one of those fake hand tricks. Neet.

And more MegaCynthia, please. I need my regular Steve Miller references.

6 Likes

So, first thing, something seems kind of poor about the print used on the Gizmoplex for this episode, unfortunately. There’s this weird line effect that I don’t know how to describe.

But as for the movie itself, I’m less offended by the padding and more by the fact that they wasted all that screen time and couldn’t be bothered to come up with a proper conclusion? That’s not an ending!

3 Likes

I think it’s interlacing.

Example here

1 Like

Maybe, but it was covering the whole frame. I wish I knew who to ask about it, though. (Course, there might just be the option of “that’s genuinely the ‘good’ copy they had on hand.”)

I also love that the example picture is of Gilbert Gottfried.

3 Likes

Uh, not to be a wet blanket, but it does say 180,000,000, ie one hundred eighty million…

3 Likes