324. Master Ninja II (1984)

Master Ninja I featured Max going up against a bad cop, which also used to be a common trope in the 70s/80s but seems much less so now.

5 Likes

You think it might possibly be connected to the strikes going on right now perchance?

2 Likes

Old Man Yes GIF by Fleischer Studios

2 Likes

In the 1970s and 80s, a lot of professional writers were old enough to remember the labor struggles of the early 20th Century. That was probably a factor.

Can’t forget the heavy club now wielded by corporate advertisers, too. Media consolidation was just beginning in a big way in the Reagan Era, and now it’s even more pronounced.

I might’ve already mentioned this, but struggling to watch Beef a few months ago, I was frustrated as hell at the assumption that the company owner should be desperate to unload her life’s work on some smug Baby Alice Walton as soon as she could. In the 1970s, the hero of a piece would’ve been desperately trying to prevent this. What we need is to dispense with all the casual racism that was part of that earlier era but throw out all this unquestioning corporate worship, too. :confused:

3 Likes

Somewhere deep in a corporate server farm, a note is added to CLANG_Potroast’s file: Disruptive, not a team player.

2 Likes

Victory Champion GIF by Archie Comics

1 Like

Recently came across this.

2 Likes