402. The Giant Gila Monster (1959)

Oh, the wonderful world of Gordon McClendon! He gave us The Killer Shrews and this wonderful gift of a movie. Starring Don Sullivan and…well no one of interest, this giant lizard movie was fun all the way around. Good riffing, overacting, and a forced perspective gila monster always make for a good Mst3K episode! Giant bug (lizard) movies were always one of my favorite genres of movies they did.

8 Likes

This episode is the complete package. It’s one of the ones you show to those “friends” that somehow have never seen MST3K before… even now.

7 Likes

It’s also harder to come up with words that rhyme with kinkajou.

6 Likes

Sez you.

7 Likes

I’ve got a real sense of deja vu.

5 Likes

Is that true?

6 Likes

It’s got me feeling a little blue.

5 Likes

That seems an appropriate hue.

5 Likes

I fear I’m about to be eaten by a grue.
I really don’t want to be part of a stew.

5 Likes

Eaten by who?
Is it like Pikachu?

5 Likes

These posts are really starting to accrue.
Before the mods freak out, I bid you adieu.

5 Likes

All this rhyming, what am I to do?

Also, if the mods are anything like the Mads, they can’t see all these rhyming posts.

5 Likes

This is definitely one of my favorite “easy going” episodes. A vintage “creature feature” that has some quirks about it. Throw in some great riffing and wonderful host segments and this one is a winner!

I would also consider this one a great idea for a new fan or a recruit!

7 Likes

And yes, Joel’s Gila Monster Voice! :smile:

5 Likes

… rhyming posts? I don’t see anything.

[tilts head in confusion]

What are you guys talking about in here?

4 Likes

THIS would absolutely work as an episode to bring a new MSTie into the fold.

For one thing, there aren’t a lot of in-jokes to previous episodes. I think you have two, with “Glenn was 50 feet tall!” from War of the Colossal Beast and the bit of the Wild Rebels song near the end.

So it wouldn’t be a case where a newbie would be locked out by a whole bunch of callbacks.

7 Likes

Good in so many ways. My favorite part of it is something subtle: after Servo does his introduction, he turns to get into the story, and Joel has to remind him “we only have the one camera”.

7 Likes

And what’s great about that subtlety is that the character isn’t portrayed so much as he’s -inhabited- by Kevin Murphy. You totally buy him AS this automaton, and that’s fantastico.

8 Likes

Yeah, well, the lord said laugh children laugh or whatever.

Also French girlfriend with immigration troubles, and probably not very bright.

That boy can swing a mean hammer.

Funny drunk with a bad rod sell it, no!

Crippled girl, and DJ. They’re cops.

Put your leg up. Indeed.

3 Likes

Would you FORGET the SKID MARKS?!

4 Likes