907. Hobgoblins (1988)

Hobgoblins Original Cast Reunites After 20 Years!

2 Likes

Hobgoblins (1988) Movie Review.

1 Like

The Fontanelles - Love-Me-Nots.

1 Like

Hobgoblins: Revisited.

1 Like

Hobgoblins - BAD MOVIES!

1 Like

Trailer of Hobgoblins (1988).

1 Like

The Fontanelles - Kick Kicker 99.

1 Like

Hobgoblins (1988) Full Movie Review. Really The Worst Film of the 80s?

1 Like

Inept but entertaining, this one’s in the riffing sweet spot and the crew did a great job with it. It’s self-aware enough that the annoying characters and stupid decisions work, but it’s not done well enough to make it unriffable. I really like how it makes it seem like Pearl’s been holding this one back for when she really wants to inflict pain.

7 Likes

This may be the most disgusting thing ever put on film.

Hobgoblins GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

And I’ve seen Un Chien Andalou.

5 Likes

Worse than this?

2 Likes

One of the great things about the MST3K DVD releases switching from Rhino to Shout! Factory is that Shout includes these wonderful documentaries produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures. Their rerelease of Volume VIII (on which Hobgoblins is featured) adds an interview with writer/director Rick Sloane, in which he recounts the production of the movie, as well as revisiting some of the locations.

Much like The Creeping Terror, the story behind the making of the film is more interesting than the actual film. Even the early concepts had some potential. The original premise had the hobgoblins as something more nebulous, at most seeing just a pair of glowing eyes. Unfortunately, Gremlins came out and influenced Sloane into giving them a more physical presence. As a result, we end up with some of the most sad-sack puppets ever recorded on film. And just how bad is their design? Let’s just say that they’re not worthy to reside in the back-alley dumpster behind the Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. They’re not even fit to appear in a Sid and Marty Krofft production.

The wardrobe can also provoke Oedipal reactions, featuring many of the more ill-advised fashions of the 1980s. To top it off, the characters are a repulsive lot whose actions are dictated by the needs of the script rather than any natural human behavior. It’s not surprising that much of the cast has a sparse filmography.

One interesting exception to that is Daran Norris, who portrays the MC at the sleazy nightclub. Unless you’re a fan of Veronica Mars (on which he portrays Cliff McCormack), his face might not be familiar. That’s because he mostly works behind a sound booth mike, providing voices in a wide variety of American and Japanese animated productions. One of his more memorable roles was as Andy in the Cowboy Bebop episode “Cowboy Funk”.

4 Likes

I always think Daphne gets a bit of a bad rap in this one. None of the characters are particularly appealing, but by the end of the movie she’s shown herself to be the most competent and intelligent of the bunch.

5 Likes

cosmo in fairly oddparents!

2 Likes

Far worse.

1 Like

So far, Munchie is still winning in terms of “inspiring” sequels which nobody wanted.

Really makes ya’ think.

2 Likes

Maybe someday Munchie’s own sequel will join it…

Huh? :thinking:

I have a love-hate relationship with this one.

Love the episode. (“There’s been an accident at the studio.” —“We made Hobgoblins.”)

Hate the movie. So much Ewwwww.

Still, on balance I think I have to call this a “top half” episode.

6 Likes

Corn is grass, but also straw can be gold if you spin hard enough.

This episode proves it. :wink:

4 Likes