And the 14th Doctor is...

Why does it sound like an insult to you? It’s merely a label that indicated your gender matches the one assigned at birth.

But why? Shouldn’t someone else get a turn to be the doctor? They’ve all been straight white (or white passing) cis men?

Yes. It’s insulting to everyone who isn’t straight, cis, white, and male. It’s the “NORMAL” part you added in here that is what is actually deeply DEEPLY insulting. You’re - in all caps no less - saying anyone who isn’t straight, white, and cis is abnormal. I hope you decide to examine your reaction here - because it’s uh… not great at all. And that has nothing to do with “wokeness” and everything to do with treating people different from you as normal, because they are.

It’s not “woke” that women and queer people exist and are finally being included in media once in awhile. Not even all the time for that matter! “NORMAL” isn’t cis, white, heterosexual, and male, but it’s incredibly ABnormal (and ridiculous and unrealistic) to act like all these other people don’t exist and are not “NORMAL.”

Signed,
A bisexual nonbinary demisexual person who is, in fact, just as normal as you, bud.

4 Likes

Friendly Neighborhood Mod Warning:

Deep breaths, everyone. Diversity is not a threatening thing. It is to be encouraged.

Please do not get heated or personal on this subject, or this thread will be subject to closure.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Let me know if I was too harsh. It’s very hurtful to be labeled as “abnormal” simply because you are different from someone, and I hope an apology for that will be forthcoming.

4 Likes

So… New Doctor. That’s pretty cool, right?

6 Likes

I know I’m stoked. RTD reportedly said they were settled on their Doctor, then saw Ncuti’s audition - the last one they were scheduled to see - and were blown away.

3 Likes

Now I want to know who we almost got.

We almost got Tom Holland I think.

2 Likes

I am…not mad at that idea.

2 Likes

It would’ve been cute, but I’m not at all mad we’re getting a fresh face in the TARDIS.

3 Likes

Yeah, I could have lived with that, but I’m good with this too.

2 Likes

I’m abnormal.

Good to know, that’s not insulting at all.

3 Likes

So is there any baddie you’d like to see return? It would be cool if RTD started things the way he did the first time with the Autons.

2 Likes

Wait and see who The Master is going to be, “Almost The Doctor” is a pretty good casting choice for them!

2 Likes

We truly need a sarcasm font. Because I feel like

Was suuuuuper sarcastic here.

1 Like

Usually, yes. The current Master? Meh.

RTD’s run was fairly closely emulating the first, second, and Third Doctors runs, so maybe this one will open with a big robot that looks like a Jukebox getting a bit fighty?

I’d love to see a good Cyberman story, but there’s not been one of those since the 60’s!

2 Likes

You think so? I quite enjoyed the Cyberman two-parter with Capaldi.

1 Like

He’s a local lad (for me) and was wasted in the role, Big Finish is a hope!

1 Like

Hm. Consider the reaction if a statement was phrased in this way…

“Here’s to 50 years of the Doctor being anyone except a gay, BIPOC, non-binary.”

I could see how persons in those groups might feel like such a statement was dunking on them a little - even if that wasn’t necessarily the intent. As such, it has to be said that it is phrased poorly regardless of the direction.

I don’t personally see why casting a character has to be treated as though it is some sort of contest where someone’s “team” wins or loses. The focus should be the hope that the show gets good writing, good direction, and good actors which can entertain audiences with compelling stories which don’t distract audience by prioritizing politics and messaging over the intellectual property’s history and lineage.

That’s my 2 bits anyway. I think its possible to enjoy a casting choice without making the actor’s characteristics the priority.

By the way, did everyone see that Ace and Tegan will be in Chibnall’s finale?

So enjoy him ruining those characters.

2 Likes