Beautifully Illustrated Film Posters

Never realised there were so many people involved in this one. Interesting! Saul Bass is the bees knees though. The typography on the credits for Dr Strangelove in particular always knocks me out.

9 Likes

I almost bought that Queen of Blood poster, but I got this one instead. It’s purely for sentiment, because I’m obsessed with Mario Bava and Barbara Steele, and Black Sunday is the perfect collision of both. The artwork isn’t stunning or anything, but it’s not bad either.

Some of the alternate posters frankly look nicer, but you’ve got to take them as they come.

11 Likes

That last Black Sunday poster is nicely designed, but it’s not as true to the tone of the movie as the others. It makes it look like a giallo.

3 Likes

Nice

Sorry to hear that. Makes me wonder if my Cinematic Titanic and Streetcar Named Desire posters have any fading that I’m just not noticing?

And SandyFrank - great picks, I had Nosferatu as one to share, so good one there. I also like the print for the original film.

and I don’t know where this came from, but here it is.

And for a simple but effective design, another favorite movie from the '20s

13 Likes

One day, I want a nice print of this. I love the many variations that have been made, but I always come back to this one.

13 Likes

I have an original one of those sitting wrapped in plastic with cardboard backing. Someday I’ll take it out of the plastic and put it in a frame.

Here’s another poster I love. I’ve never seen the film, but my dad used to have it on the wall.

12 Likes

Some science fiction, starting with a perennial favorite poster design for me.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Rollerball

Event poster for Liquid Sky

Event poster for Tron

Event poster for The City of Lost Children

18 Likes

19 Likes

The French had the best Marx Brothers posters in a delightful cartoon style.

The great caricaturist Al Hirschfeld did pieces in a similar style.

18 Likes

No Ninas hidden in that Hirschfeld. That always disappoints me even if the caricature is good. I want Ninas to look for!

Edit: Oh wait, there are Ninas. He just didn’t put a number.

7 Likes

Yes, either this one predates his Nina-numbering or he simply left it off this piece. There’s quite a big Nina in Harpo’s blouse, for instance.

8 Likes

I was wondering when Drew Struzan was going to show up… though my favorites from him are still his album covers for Alice Cooper (Greatest hits, with all the famous actors who starred in gangster films in the cover and insert - and Welcome to my Nightmare - I used to put those LPs on my music stand and stare at them while the albums played)

And I guess we should include this one…

14 Likes

And finally, before I go, something groovy

From artist Dick Ellescas

From artist Robert E. McGinnis

14 Likes

One more round from me for now, some horror posters/covers.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

The Brood

Berberian Sound Studio

11 Likes

Someone mentioned Polish movie posters already, which are often works of art in and of themselves. My favorite is for Cabaret.

14 Likes

HOLY CRAP WHERE IS THAT POSTER FROM???

Ahem. Pardon the all caps.

Wherever did you source that miraculous image?

9 Likes

From the vintage source Limited Runs. Be warned, it ain’t cheap. :grin:

10 Likes

Love this one, but the asking price is a bit much.

16 Likes

I have a reprint of this in my basement.

I also have this in my house, but it’s an original print and under the alternate title “jungle virgin.”

Edit: I came into that second poster via gift. I think it’s great design-wise and am proud to have it. I’ve never actually seen the movie, but from what I know about it, I suspect there are some elements that would be frowned upon today with the treatment of other cultures (think “jungle goddess” from mst3k). My love of the poster is not an endorsement of the movie.

9 Likes

Holy crapola, you ain’t kidding!

7 Likes