Best Female Action Heroes

Revy. From Black Lagoon. None tougher.

Didn’t Clearbrook turn into a badass after the death of One-Eye?

1 Like

I think the relationship between her and Leetah after losing him (and Leetah herself having to kill to save her child) was some of the best plotting in the comic. Any comic, really.

1 Like

Have we done-

3 Likes

No one’s gone with this yet?

I’m shocked! Well, not that shocked.

2 Likes

The best version of Casablanca after Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

And Casablanca.

1 Like

Here’s a two-for-one deal.

A hero who can kick butt, sing and gives a message of the power of love.

MR_Potroast cued up Futurama’s The Sting last night. It was an episode I’d never seen before. Holy Cannoli, I’d forgotten how much I adore Leela. She’s a cartoon with more dimension than any number of live-action female characters.

3 Likes

That’s a great episode. It’s one that makes you wonder how a silly cartoon can do drama better than most actual drama shows.

3 Likes

There are shows where each episode’s plot is self-contained and characters don’t change over time. There are shows where it’s all a big, sprawling, multi-season saga and there’s no way you can jump in midstream without a tour guide. Futurama does both over a single season, IIRC. I think it makes for better characters overall.

3 Likes

The ones I dig:

Had to add this one, I loved Melissa in Spy!

1 Like

One of my favourite directors King Hu had some great female representation in his films.

The 1966 Wuxia classic Come Drink With Me starred Cheng Pei-Pei as the fearless Golden Swallow out to rescue her brother from a bandit gang. While she does ultimately get sidelined at the end by her male co-star, she still made an impression and became a star. It’s no coincidence Ang Lee cast her as Jade Fox in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

And the name Jade Fox is itself likely a reference to a character in another King Hu film, White Fox from Raining in the Mountain played by Feng Shu. That isn’t an action film but she is memorable as a thief posing as a concubine in order to steal a sacred scroll from a Buddhist temple. She is better known however as the fearsome Miss Yang in one of the greatest and most influential martial arts films ever, A Touch of Zen also directed by King Hu.

2 Likes

Great choices. I had a list of my favorite women of martial arts in another thread.

I’ll share one of my geeky fandom things…

Though created by Marston, in 2014 fans learned of Joye Hummel, who ghost wrote more than 70 Wonder Woman stories credited to William Marston.

While I sold off most of my trade paperbacks and graphic novels, I held onto my Wonder Woman collection, which include several volumes of those early stories.

My favorite WW story is Brian Azzarello’s “First Born/Last Born” saga, with art by Chiang, Akins & Sudzuka, colors by Wilson.

Other great WW tales include…

• The Hiketia by Greg Rucka & J.G. Jones

• JLA: A League of One by Christopher Moeller

• Spirit of Truth by Paul Dini and Alex Ross

• DC Retroactive 1990s Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs and Lee Moder

To name just a few.

In the 70s I watched the TV show, and still have my DVD box set

916EGGqpwWL.SY445

And of course, loved the first movie (the second, not so much, but at least there’s a funny rifftrax to go with that one)

I also enjoyed many of the animated series, especially Justice League Unlimited, and have an inexpensive Diamond Selects figure based on those series sitting on the shelf

s-l500

3 Likes

I absolutely adored Wonder Woman as a kid. Total crush!

The ricochet wristbands were an oft used trope in our super hero games !

Blocking Wonder Woman GIF

3 Likes

I know it was only made to make some money and protect the name, and Savini wasn’t very happy with it, but I still love the Night of the Living Dead remake and the badass version of Barbara it gave us…

“This Time Barbara is Coming to Get THEM!”

2 Likes

I have many and will list them a few at a time. Not in order of preference but vaguely alphabetical.

Bêlit, Queen of the Black Coast (from Conan)

belit

The Bride, Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill)

bride

Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)

arya

Bo Dennis and Kenzki Malikov (Lost Girl)

2 Likes

I almost forgot about Billie Jean !

Agatha Heterodyne (Girl Genius webcomic)

agatha

Birds of Prey (Gail Simone comics edition)

bop

Eowyn (Lord of the Rings, books and movies)

Chihiro (Spirited Away)

chihiro

Ellen Ripley (Alien franchise)

ripley

3 Likes

Girl Genius is so kick a$$ !

1 Like

Emma Peel (The Avengers. No, the other Avengers.)

Furiosa (Mad Max: Fury Road)

furiosa

Hua Mulan (Chinese history and folklore)

mulan

Harley Quinn (DC Comics, especially her animated series)

harley

Jamethiel Priest’s Bane of Knorth (a.k.a Jame) (The Kencyrath novels)

jame

3 Likes