Best MST3K Movie Santa Claus

So, Christmas is behind us for another year, but let’s keep the spirit for a bit longer and ponder: which Santa out of the three MST3K movies do you think is the best (only the MST3K ones, not the various Rifftrax ones (and especially not that useless load that met the Ice Cream Bunny). Our contenders:

This Santa Claus seemed almost always happy, save for things like Mrs. Claus and the elves getting frozen, and his positive attitude helped turn a destruction robot into a giant toy and changed the course of an alien society. He wasn’t above using violence if needed in the form of his child army at the end of the movie, and even used his powers and thinking to save two children from drifting in space. Though that same positive attitude could lead to weird jokes and stories…

Possibly the Santa that showed the most magic (albeit given to him by Merlin) in any of the movies, this Santa showed in his movie the most nobility, risking his life when he started running late on his yearly run to make sure everyone, including little Lupita, was happy on Christmas. Though he does has questionable taste in music, as seen with the child labor he keeps around his castle…

The most down to Earth (in a way) Santa of the trio, only showing off the magic on Christmas itself (not counting knowing names of children and adults just by looking at them), and willing to try to get help when he has a problem he can’t fully deal with himself. However, that could also be seen as a negative compared to the previous two, as they either lead or worked mostly solo, while this one did need the help of a lawyer.

So, have at it then. Which one is your Santa of choice?
(also, do make concessions for two of them due to them being dubbed over, unlike the one from "Conquers the Martians).

• Martian Conquerer Santa
  • Sky High Devil Fighter Santa
  • Good Natured Santa w/Lawyer Friend

0 voters

2 Likes

One Santa took on martian
Another battled a devil
The third fought a landlord

I think the 3rd faced the greater evil :wink:

The first was the most Santa-like, good-natured, worked miracles, brought peace and love to Mars, but laughter-wise, it’s my least favorite ep of the 3.

The third seemed the most inept and forgetful and disturbing (the pleasure mouth? -shudder-), buuut, his was the funnier experiment, at least for me, so that’s who I’ll give my vote too

7 Likes

It’s a tough call between Conqueror and Devil battler, but I went for Conqueror because he actually still succeeded in doing his full Christmas Eve run, Devil Battler was confined to a couple of neighborhoods in Mexico D.F.

2 Likes

Conqueror Santa was a knowing, winking troll for most of that movie, and bless him for that.

6 Likes

We sure he did? Servo seems to think not in his end credits song…

1 Like

Voted for Santa #3, because so help me, whenever I see Santa now, I hear Tom in my head going, “How did we get a Santa with such extreme general anxiety disorder?”

2 Likes

Well we don’t actually see Christmas Eve night in SCCTM so that is admittedly an assumption on my part, but at least he still has the time to do so.
The narrator in Santa Claus however informs us that his FIRST stop is in Mexico City, and all the kids we see are in Mexico City, and Lupita is his last stop so we definitely know he never made it anywhere else.

1 Like

I voted for Santa #3, as I find him to be the most relatable. Honestly, I really kinda dig The Christmas that Almost Wasn’t for being a much more down to Earth take on the Santa Claus story. It’s still has its bizarre moments, but it also makes you feel for Santa. When I watch this movie, I want to see him pull through and deliver all the presents. And honestly, Sam Whipple really didn’t get enough credit. All the jokes about him being a “wittle baby” are unwarranted I think, seeing as he’s actually the person who helps Santa the most in this movie. Well, besides the children at the end donating to him. But still, I think Santa #3 is what I most envision Santa to be. He’s a guy undergoing a lot of stress, but he still places the children first. And that’s honestly really touching to me.

5 Likes

Thing about Sam though…I think he left behind the legal world after this, but still worked with Santa (and another holiday mascot too)

3 Likes

Funny thing is, having rewatched it, the kid who gets Merlin at the end kinda contradicts this by saying Santa was already done with Asia, Europe and Africa.

2 Likes

Right, but the narrator at the beginning is pretty explicit that he starts with Mexico City, did he start there, go everywhere else, and THEN help Lupita?

1 Like

Considering how much “powder” Santa used, I wouldn’t be surprised if his flight plan was the same as The Giant Claw’s.

2 Likes

I’m going to write in the double-secret Santa, the jolly old elf from A Christmas Story, who was none other than Fats of Wild Rebels fame, Jeff Gillin.

5 Likes

Santa 2 is as invasive as the tech industry. Santa 3 is terrible with money. So, jolly ol’ Santa 1 gets my vote.

Although, I’d vote for Jack Frost over all if given the chance.

1 Like

Fats as Santa? Gets my write in vote. Blue light special on chromosomes, extra ones!

2 Likes

I contend John Call gives a genuinely good performance in Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. He seems to be fully aware he’s in a very cheap, very silly movie yet is playing it completely straight and seems to be having a very good time.

6 Likes

He could have done his job and then come back to help the cute little girl.

2 Likes

Well, this WAS before his Coca-Cola deal.

6 Likes

That scene at the beginning where the reporter is talking to Santa Claus in Santa Claus Conquers The Martians always reminds me of an 80s WWF wrestling promo. Mrs. Claus is Sensational Sherri. Santa Claus is Macho Man Randy Savage.

3 Likes

Andy Henderson isn’t cool enough to be Mean Gene.

3 Likes